Royal Mail Sorting Office Closure Meeting..

This is terrible!! I went on Friday 3 times (having given up on 2 occasions because the queue wasn't moving - only one person at the desk). The queue went round the corner to the top of the ramp and into the car park. There was an elderly lady with a zimmer frame (I got her to the front to be served) and someone else in a wheel chair. I had to collect that day because it was a box of live food for my son's lizard. I did phone a main number they gave me to register a complaint. Is this poor management because of privatisiation? It is totally unacceptable.

campbell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is terrible!! I went on Friday 3 times

> (having given up on 2 occasions because the queue

> wasn't moving - only one person at the desk). The

> queue went round the corner to the top of the ramp

> and into the car park. There was an elderly lady

> with a zimmer frame (I got her to the front to be

> served) and someone else in a wheel chair. I had

> to collect that day because it was a box of live

> food for my son's lizard. I did phone a main

> number they gave me to register a complaint. Is

> this poor management because of privatisiation? It

> is totally unacceptable.

They've always been slow - but it used to be the case the queue was 3 or 4 people so was OK. Maybe people can actually prepare their ID in the queue - but there's also often arguments about ID.

As craigyby71 asked, is there any way to get post that I know is 'in the system' but they haven't even tried to deliver? It's something sent locally first class three weeks ago. Is there any point in turning up at the sorting office, giving my details and asking them to look?

Apologies for bumping this, but I'm hoping someone will have an answer. It's beyond frustrating...

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> As craigyby71 asked, is there any way to get post

> that I know is 'in the system' but they haven't

> even tried to deliver? It's something sent locally

> first class three weeks ago. Is there any point in

> turning up at the sorting office, giving my

> details and asking them to look?

I wish I had the answer, BNG. I arranged for something to be redelivered on Saturday (I got the dreaded 'Something for you' card when I popped out on Thursday last week). I waited in all day for it but of course it didn't arrive. I vented my ire on the Royal Mail website and got a bland email back three days later saying they'll look into it. Meanwhile, the parcel is lost in the ether, despite the fact I've got a so-called tracking number for it. It's a child's birthday present and the birthday is tomorrow, hey ho...

If it was just a one-off I'd overlook it, but we've had such a shambolic and slow 'service' recently it's absolutely beyond a joke.

Unless you have a tracking number they will not look randomly for 'missing' post - it may turn up, it may not.

If you ask them to redeliver, in my experience they don't, even when they give you a number and confirm a re-delivery date.

I had no delivery this week on Monday, two (by different postmen) on Tuesday (11 items delivered over the two deliveries) none on Wednesday, nothing yet on Thursday. I have a news magazine which should be delivered on Fridays - it hasn't been since the end of July. And that is actually tracked!

This has gone so well beyond a joke it's ridiculous. We are now well into our third month (25% of the year) of random delivery - never 6 days a week, first class delivered at any time or not at all. Missed deliveries are not redelivered, and the 'collection' option is now, in Peckham, simply insulting. Royal Mail are wholly abusing their monopoly position for final mile domestic delivery in SE22.

This has got nothing to do with privatisation I fear and everything to do with management that doesn't care - the closure and selling off of Sylvester Road was probably commercially and operationally justified - the way in which the work was moved, and the failure to take into any account what close to doubling the activity at Peckham would lead to in terms of demand is simply and plainly appalling management. The appalling managers should be fired. As should their managers. As should theirs. Which won't happen unless this is escalated to the body responsible for oversight. And probably not even then.

I've just ordered something from Virgin Media which I've been told should arrive within seven days. They obviously don't know what SE22 deliveries are like at the moment.

Just as a sidebar, I'm not a lawyer, but in the recent David Beckham speeding case it seems as if one of the keys to his defence was the fact that the notice to prosecute did not arrive in time. If only he lived in SE22 maybe he wouldn't have had to employ lawyer Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman to defend him, just point the DVLA in the direction of this thread.

"Mr Freeman suggested the... matter could have been a case of poor postal service, citing a subsequent letter sent first class by Bentley to Scotland Yard which took eight days to arrive."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45668735

I'm expecting a requested redelivery today.

I'm not holding my breath.

A pack of magazines which we sell at our gigs was posted out first class on 19 September (as we found out later). We had a sold out gig on 28 September and had no magazines to sell. This was particularly unfortunate since our headliner was on the cover.

When they still hadn't turned up by 1 October, we contacted the sender, who sent another pack out the same day.

Both packs arrived in the same delivery on 2 October.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Having abandoned queuing after waiting 15 mins at the back of the line which stretched to the top of the ramp (and only one person coming out during that time), I arranged for a redelivery on Monday.

It didn't come.

I phoned RM to complain, was treated very courteously and arranged for a delivery to the Forest Hill Road Post Office, thinking this would be the safest and most convenient option in the current chaos.

Today I received a text and email saying the parcel was now waiting for collection at Silvester Road, NOT where I had asked it to be sent! Why does the RM not make it clear that this actually means the item is out for delivery with the local postie again??!! Thankfully I was in when my very apologetic local postman delivered it, admitting all is still chaos.

Meanwhile I have requested another item to be delivered to Forest Hill Road Post Office, paying an extra 70 pence for the privilege. Having received a confirmation email, fingers crossed it will be there when I go to collect. I fear that queues at our local post offices are going to be even longer as more people choose this option.

It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread but East Dulwich isn't the only office to close this year. To my knowledge Hampton, Muswell Hill and South Woodford have closed while West Norwood is under threat.

> It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread but

> East Dulwich isn't the only office to close

> this year. To my knowledge Hampton, Muswell Hill

> and South Woodford have closed while West Norwood is under threat.

Muswell Hill N10 1DW

Hampton TW12 2AA

seem still to be in use according to https://www.royalmail.com/delivery-and-collection-office-finder/. And I've seen nothing later than the 26 July Hampton decision annnouncement report at https://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/16379472.royal-mail-decide-to-close-hampton-delivery-office/.

Call me cynical, but I can see where this is leading.

Royal Mail will cease house to house deliveries. Every home will have a box somewhere, probably miles away, where their post will be placed. They will have a key, or a card, and will have to go and pick it all up, and probably pay for the privilege.

Mark my words etc etc

ETA: Oh and the redelivery I have been waiting in for hasn't arrived yet. I suppose there's still time ... just looked at the tracking site and at 6.26am it said it was due to be delivered today by "East Dulwich DO". Which no longer exists. Oh well.

There will be a very long time before that happens. If Royal Mail proposes that, it will lose its monopoly of the final mile for domestic deliveries of (letter) post - indeed it will be replaced by alternatives, as it already is being for parcel and package delivery. In central London we will not be disadvantaged - but I wouldn't move out into the countryside if I were you. An alternative network for parcels and packages is already in operation, including 'posting' into it.

sandyman Wrote:

>

> Just as a sidebar, I'm not a lawyer, but in the

> recent David Beckham speeding case it seems as if

> one of the keys to his defence was the fact that

> the notice to prosecute did not arrive in time. If

> only he lived in SE22 maybe he wouldn't have had

> to employ lawyer Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman to

> defend him, just point the DVLA in the direction

> of this thread.

>

> "Mr Freeman suggested the... matter could have

> been a case of poor postal service, citing a

> subsequent letter sent first class by Bentley to

> Scotland Yard which took eight days to arrive."

>

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45668

> 735

Well amongst post coming in batches (once a fortnight-ish?) and late over the last few months, yesterday I received a Met Police letter telling me about a driving offence - it was only written the day before! Is there some prioritisation going on for official letters?!

I received a batch of mail yesterday, but typically not the important letter I am waiting for that was posted first class on 24th September!

craigyboy71 Wrote:

> I've been waiting 10 days for mail. I gave the

> Royal Mail complaint line a call this morning and

> can't say I was reassured that things will improve

> anytime soon! I'd happily go and collect my own

> mail, but is that an option?

someone suggested I request re-delivery, which I did, they specified a day it would arrive - I waited in all day, no knock (no stereo/radio on), nothing. no note through door, no sign of a visit.

then went to sorting office and they said (after hour queuing) that's it's still out for delivery from day before, I requested they just check rather than send me away, they found it.

This morning got an email form Amazon about a purchase due to arrive yesterday (didn't come, I waited in), Royal Mail are telling Amazon they came at 15.39 yesterday and no-one was in, which is a total lie - if they'd knocked why didn't they leave a red slip to advise I'd missed a parcel delivery ? Because they were never here, that's why !!

I was becoming accustomed to one weekly delivery, but things have perked up this week and I've had several deliveries. The first delivery was a letter which had been posted to me by a friend only the previous day. However,this did not mean that they were now up to date, as two days later, I received a letter my friend had sent me before the one I'd already received, so was presumably from their backlog, so post is not being delivered in date order. All the delayed post I'm receiving are items posted to me since Peckham took over.

I emailed Harriet Harman a while ago, as she's the MP for Peckham, but I've received no reply or acknowledgement.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Anybody heard from Helen Hayes?

I imagine she is waiting for a response from Royal Mail before replying to residents' emails, otherwise she will have to email out to everybody twice!

Though admittedly normally there would be some kind of automated reply.

So. Yesterday the tracking site said my item was "due to be delivered today by East Dulwich DO." It wasn't. Possibly because East Dulwich DO no longer exists. There is a sort of humour here, but I'm not actually amused.

Today it says 4.08am "Item prepared for redelivery." It doesn't say whether it will be delivered today or what.

So I phoned their complaints people. Fair dos, I only had to wait 8 minutes for somebody to answer, not bad compared to many places.

Long story short, all they can do is forward the complaint to the manager of the delivery office. So that would be the manager of the office which appears to be in crisis, then. And guess what, he (I'm assuming it is a he as most of them still are) has 72 hours to sort it.

So, I'm told that if it isn't delivered today, it will be delivered on Monday. So having stayed in yesterday, I have to stay in the rest of today, then stay in on Monday.

I made it clear that I am not willing to trek down to Peckham and probably wait over an hour in a queue, especially as I am currently quite ill.

Oh, and it could be delivered to a Post Office, but then I have to pay 70p. The fee can't be waived because it is "two separate companies."

FFS.

Does anybody have an email address for the new CEO?

ETA: It's [email protected] . Thanks Google!

ETA: Don't bother phoning the number given beneath the email address though, it's just the general complaints number I just phoned. Which makes me think that email address will just go through to there as well. Not, obviously, that I thought it would be picked up by the CEO personally, but I did think it might go through to his office.