Cycles to be removed - Goodrich/Dunstans

Several bikes have letters from the council attached saying that they will be removed from the railings seven days from 28/03.

Cllr Barber is aware.

Plenty of cyclists leave their bikes there so I think a proper facility ought to be offered.

IME the letters will remain and so will the bikes. To remove partly vandalised bikes from bike stands (or anywhere else) use Fix My Street https://www.fixmystreet.com. This works. I think the council must monitor it to make sure Veolia does it.

But you are right and bike parking is called flyparking when it is obvious that people want to park their bikes while they shop etc but there are no bike stands. There is a council budget for business bike parking (so people can cycle to the shops) but it is very small and I think it keeps getting swiped for other things.

If this is Councillor Barber's ward you could ask him to press for proper parking as well as to press for these bikes to be removed.

I already asked him whether the site could be a good one for those shelters that some streets have so maybe it will happen. There is one bike loop on one side of the road and that is used often.

I don't think the bikes have been abandoned so this post may alert the owners (who may then decided to push for better parking options).

The hoop things are residential parking and I think there is more money for that than for the business/shopping parking. It's more secure too than hanging your bike on the fence. So yes, it would be a good thing if it pushed more people to demand safe residential parking for their bikes.

It says on the letter that they could present a hazard, which is rairly reasonable as there is a lot of footfall there - from some very small feet, given the school(s) nearby. The barrier on the school side is on a narrow stretch of footpath (and, to be fair, the hoop is too) and buggies, kids, doggies and sometimes rushing parents could come a cropper if a cycle falls over into their way.

I would prefer bikes to be safe and for the council to help cyclists keep their property safe but as long as the bikes are not chained to the school gates/railings, I am happy.