Do your kids play out?

sillywoman

In our road all the kids play out every evening. The girls all giggle together and the boys play football or chase. It's really good to see and has helped foster a very strong community sense. Some of the kids are quite young (approx 4,5 or 6) but they all have a great time and the age groups mix well. Does anyone else have this in their street? Personally I find it very refreshing in these times of gated 'safe' communities and isolated kids on computers, but anecdotally I hear that some people don't want to let their kids out until they're in their teens? What's it like round you - are we alone in this in East Dulwich?

I have no children, but the children near me at Goodrich play football and the like on the streets. It's quite quiet after a certain time, so they're safe from the traffic. I don't see any others, apart from some skater-boys on Friern Road. I agree it's good for them to go outside and play. I used to do it all the time in Stockport, where the streets had no cars. Out at 9 back at 9 in the summer, or later. Ah, cherryade, jubblies, kick the can, popping tar bubbles....Nero

Fractionater, my daughter and I saw some boys throw a stone which smashed a car window on our road on Friday night. They did look quite shocked, and then, as if by magic, two community wardens appeared! I dunno what happened after that, but one of the boys involved lives on the road....!

Not sure I agree with that. I won't let my 10 year old walk to the park alone at 6pm on an autumn evening, however I will let him kick a ball around with his mates for a while before dinner. He goes to the park with his mates at other more suitable times tho'.

Not sure I agree with that. I won't let my 10 year old walk to the park alone at 6pm on an autumn evening, however I will let him kick a ball around with his mates for a while before dinner. He goes to the park with his mates at other more suitable times tho'.

Fair enough, I'm more scared of the automobile than the bogeyman though.

A big part of it is that we don't really know our neighbours these days. If we did perhaps we'd be less fearful and there'd always be someone to 'keep an eye out' but as it is, it's a bunch of random strangers on a street.

I know all my neighbours for at least four doors down either side. They're all great but none of them would consider a "watchful eye" as part of they're job description.