Southwark Kerbside Strategy Consultation Opens!!!

This doesn't seem to have had a mention before, but Southwark has opened its thrilling Draft Kerbside Strategy for consultation by the huddled masses. It seems depressingly focussed on parking, but I'm sure someone must have something to say about that. For those that don't, there are plenty of free-form boxes for comments about dog mess or pheasants.

For a summary of the motivating factors, see also the short accompanying report submitted to the Cabinet member, downloadable from the Decision Details page http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?Id=6056, or get it directly: http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s66569/Report.pdf.

The downloadable copies of the Strategy document at Burbage's link look to me identical in content. The smaller one has perhaps generally better colour contrast. Both versions have some examples of scrappy importation of graphics files. Some of the sources weren't at high enough resolution and contain compression artifacts, and there's occasional truncation (as in eg Appendix G).

Oh lummy they are at it again.

I feel that narrow roads and slightly obscured junctions make people slow down? By opening everything up - it encourages speed and recklessness.

The wide opened space and clear vista around dog kennel hill school is a case in point.

Hi Abe_froeman,

The consultation report will be made public and it will be listened to. But rahrahrah perspective can mean a lack of responses and things do then much more easily go through despite many peoples misgivings.

Hi fiddles,

That is my understanding. Wide open roads encourage speeding.

As a cyclist and a pedestrian, I only struggle for visibility when tall sided vehicles are parked close to junctions.

Therefore a good compromise would be to only restrict tall vehicles (vans/lorries for example) from parking in the 7.5m zone, but allow cars to park there. This would resolve the "wide-open road causes speeding" theory (of which I agree) and also make junctions safer as pedestrians and cyclists will have more visibility.