Bonfires

Which selfish so and so, living at the top end of Friern/Upland Road, is going to put their hand up and admit to lighting a bonfire every time we have a dry sunny day? Talk about anti-social! It's going to be light until 8pm ish tonight, can't you wait a bit longer?

Bbq's, Pizza ovens and burning a wood fire outdoors isn't illegal under the clean air act. However, wood and organic matter is usually ok, whereas plastic, bituminous coal

(house coal) and such material isn't.

But if you're burning wet leaves in a confined area, on a regular basis, then it can be classed as a nuisance and a smoke abatement order sought.

Different laws at work here, in that ones environmental, the other antisocial I believe.

That's the jist of it, but the devil's in the details.

Well the fire's still burning, two hours later. I will have to re-wash and re-hang all the washing I put out on the line today. We have a council who will drive up your road and collect your garden waste every single week - why would you need to burn it?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Garden waste every few weeks ?

Dude you are the kind of guy that I would call brain-dead. You can't realise that the smoke caused from your garden waste is going to affect the whole area around you?

Wake up and stop burning crap in your garden.

On the subject of brown bins, we have a 100ft garden and manage our garden waste via one compost heap and put out about 20-30 paper sacks (from the library) per year. We don't have a big fugly brown bin in our front garden, those things are empty most of the time and an eyesore.

The rules used to be (the last time I needed them for an anti-social neighbour who ignored our pleas)- and before the introduction of the garden waste bin.

1 bonfire per month that burns for 1 hour at dusk - that was it

I agree with tomskip that no-one should need to burn garden waste.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I'd rather have a garden bonfire than all the

> traffic fumes.

Yes, but sadly we don't have the choice of one or the other.

So bonfire smoke is added to traffic fumes.

Apart from the smell getting on washing etc, it is really bad for people with chest complaints.

I was recently exposed to bonfire smoke for a couple of hours. I didn't notice any breathing difficulties at the time, but my asthma was very bad for several days afterwards.

Yes, of course it's, Mars Bonfire.

A fellow with a workaday enough name but reinvented himself in the best possible way as the rather great Mars Bonfire.

THAT'S MARS BONFIRE DUDES, DUDETTES AND DUDELETTES!!

I suppose it's easy enough to just go an' look up on Gurgle what the great thing he did was, but don't.

I implore you.