Forest Hill Rd lights

tedsmum

I work in the DIY shop on the corner of Forest Hill Rd and Dunstans Rd. We have objected to the traffic lights and double yellow lines since we found out that they were planned.What is not commonly known is that they have been paid for by Thames Water to aid their lorries which will be travelling up and down FH Rd and turning in and out of Colyton Rd, due to a 3 year project to install a new water mains pipe from here to Brixton.

In addition, we believe that the lorries will be 'tagged' in order for the lights to change in their favour. These are not 'local' lights to ease traffic or help us cross the road safely, if anything, they have made both much worse!(and the lorries are few and far between so far, wait until there is one every 12 minutes which is whats expected!)Currently, the lights are set at approx.50 second intervals for cars on FH Rd, and approx. 10 seconds for cars out of Colyton and Dunstans, with just approx. 6 seconds for pedestrians to cross! We see many drivers overtaking others at the lights in a bid to beat the lights and this is an accident waiting to happen.

I for one am frightened of the consequences of these lights, and am nervous of all the honking of horns and screeching of brakes that we hear during the day. The yellow lines that have also been put down because of the lights, are obviously bad for business, and bad for residents of Dunstans Rd because all parking has had to move up the road, and leaving your car anywhere near your own house is a luxury!We have had 4 or 5 meetings with the Southwark representative for the lights and lines,originally to object to the complete lack of direct consultation (one notice on a lamp post just doesn't cut it!) and have 'phoned several times since, to voice our concerns.

Sorry to go on but this is a subject close to my heart, and I can't see why they chose this way to go about getting their lorries on site,at such disruption to so many of us. If you would like to ask why also, the man to contact is Mr.T Coppock on 0207 525 2173, he was in charge of the whole installation on behalf of Southwark.