The new East Dulwich

mixulee

Ganapati I'm not disputing that some working-class parents care a great deal about their kids' education. Sad that it's a minority but there you go.

Re. Aske's, yes there is an entrance exam. They use the results of this to select from three ability levels. A small percentage are also admitted based solely on proximity to the school. So it's all a bit of a lottery really.

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Re. Aske's, yes there is an entrance exam. They

> use the results of this to select from three

> ability levels. A small percentage are also

> admitted based solely on proximity to the school.

> So it's all a bit of a lottery really.

I agree with this James although I'm not sure ithis just applies to Aske's it's all schools the system is mad.

Charlotte Wrote:

> you sound like you could of been trouble, whenyou

> were caught smoking was it recently!!!;-)

No, I went to Aske's Boys in '89, started sixth form '94, and left ,96 (God, 11 years).

Didn't get in too much trouble really, I was one of the music crowd, so we got a certain level of freedom and respect from the great John Skinner, who I believe is still head of music. Meant I could go off and smoke a lot ;-)

James Wrote:

> Any thoughts on how to get your kids in there

> Keef? As I would love to get my son in...

There is an exam, but also they do a Sports aptitude exam for Knights and Music exam for Hatcham - could your son do either of those?

Damn... have suggested it many times but he wasn't keen. Guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope he does well in the entrance exam. He is very bright but then this is the most over-subscribed school in the country... and it does have that bizarre selection rule so who knows?

We are a bit stuck as he lives in Lewisham with his mum. Schools there are atrocious. So like many round here it's gonna be a lot of tests and anxious waiting... the whole thing seems so unfair. I reckon all schools should be forced to have a mix of all abilities. That way we wouldn't have this desperate scrum for the decent ones.

James, why not Haberdasher Knights Academy he should be in the catchment area for that and if he's bright...

Also what about St Olaves fantastic school my son also applied there http://www.saintolaves.net/?

The waiting game is awful I do feel for you.

However my son is very happy at Knights and is doing very well, lots of activities outside school and some great school trips.

• 3 months later...

Hi I know your message is several months old now but I came across it when I googled Ivydale Primary School.

When my husband and I moved to nunhead four years ago with a two and a three year old we were both very nervous about local primary schools. But I have to say that my kids have been at Ivydale nursery and primary school and we are both very happy and involved in the school. Our kids are both thriving, have had consistently good teachers and most of all, are happy and feel secure at school. The head is passionate about the school and there is a really lovely mixed community there. If the person you met in Nunhead has a child at Askes, I can imagine that their experience of the school was some years ago. Primary Schools are ever changing places, even the "best' can become stale and rest on their own laurels whilst an ever increasing middle class contingent vye for places in them.. Lastly I do have extensive experience as I work in both primary and secondary schools in london and you can tell as soon as you walk through the doors if a school has a positive atmosphere or no,t so trust your instinct, and pay a visit!