The new East Dulwich

mixulee

Im with you Nuheadlass - Only some dwelf from ED could tell you that a school that they have absolutely nothing to do with is terrible. th erregance, er arragonce , er smugness ....(sorry went to a rubbish school myself) of these people is stunning. But hey now they have a bright orange neon sign glowing in the middle of lordshiplane - rock on foxtons ! ED for woolworths!

AllforNun--If you're referring to me, then you should read the thread more carefully. I LIVE in Nunhead and I've got a kid heading off to school soon, so believe me I know what I'm talking about when I say the schools in Nunhead are terrible. I find it amusing that there always seems to be this assumption that the only people who care about good schools are "middle class parents" and the plebes will just shove their children wherever they can. In fact, I met a woman at my daughter's nursery who in her own words was not middle class at all and was bursting with pride that her daughter got into Haberdasher Askes. She also told me to "stay away" from Ivydale (in Nunhead) and went into the pros and cons of practically the entire area.

Not wishing to p*ss on anyone's parade, Aske's selection procedure is bizarre in the extreme as they select from "three diffferent ability levels" (or claim to). Which seems very odd, given their incredible performance in the league tables.

Also I think if someone claims not to be middle class "in their own words" - they are probably all the more likely to be middle class!

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not wishing to p*ss on anyone's parade, Aske's

> selection procedure is bizarre in the extreme as

> they select from "three diffferent ability levels"

> (or claim to). Which seems very odd, given their

> incredible performance in the league tables.

>

> Also I think if someone claims not to be middle

> class "in their own words" - they are probably all

> the more likely to be middle class!

I've always refused to put myself in a class bracket, but I financially, my family were definitely not Middle Class, and I got in there. I know I'm going back a fair few years, but from the year above me at my primary school they took three "Band 3" boys, and from my year, they took three "Band 1" boys, which seems fair. Although back then it was a seperate boys and girls school, rather different to the way it is now.

downsouth Wrote:

> Some estate agent schpeel for you

> http://www.thatchandco.com/locations/West_Dulwich.

> htm

Hmmm, looking at the East Dulwich page:

"In the future the East London line looks likely to come to East Dulwich, improving what are already great transport links into central London"

I don't think so.

downsouth Wrote:

> Is the academy any good?

Well he is doing well, but I think he would where ever he went - he works hard and gets very good results. There were teething problems at first when they first took over but the new school building looks very impressive and has a fantastic gym (open to the public also). I have heard from some of my sons peers parent's that you can struggle if not very bright. All in all though I am very pleased and have no worries about my daughter going.

James--her exact words were, "I never thought my daughter stood a chance with all the middle class kids..." I'm not going into the details as to why she's not middle class on this board, but it's clear she's not. Her daughter sat the exams for Haberdasher's so I'm not sure what you're implying with the statement that the school takes from all ability levels. Seriously, it is not just the "middle classes" who worry about good schools.

If it's the same woman who used to teach at the girls school back in my day (mixed 6th form) she was pretty strict... That said, if she was in a good mood she could be rather nice, but when she caught me smoking in my uniform outside the gate she wasn't too impressed ;-)

She must be getting on a bit now though, or have I got the wrong woman?