Beautiful flowers being picked and walked on.

loni

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd personally rather they didn't plant Daf's

> under trees, it's out of context. I prefer them in

> beds, much like tulips. I wonder why they dont

> plant Tulips in the same way.

Daffs are much cheaper, blooms last longer and will withstand inclement weather.

The bulbs can also be left in the ground to naturalise whereas Tulip bulbs should preferably be lifted, left to dry out and planted in a new position each Autumn...

Just back from a walk through Peckham Rye Park where I saw three toddlers in the charge of two adults running through clumps of daffodils and stamping on them, while one of the adults watched on and the other was on her phone. I was just about to open my mouth to say something when one of the adults came to her senses and gently chided Arthur for "spoiling the flowers". And that's exactly what she had allowed to happen right under her nose.

Why do people need a flipping sign up to remind them not to do this??

Thankyou everyone for your support.We must all stop this anti social behavior.. Look out for my lovely well behaved mindees posters and their friends from playgroup. They will be on hotspots this week.

Zero tolerance fellow flower people. This post has 1190 views so if all of the people who viewed tell ten people each,hopefully the message will be out there.

Over in the Japenese gardens is a memorial stone for Alice K Street who founded The London children's flower society. We all used to grow a daffodil and hope for a prized yellow certificate for our efforts. It taught us to love our surroundings and to respect flowers.Children need to know if they pick a flower it dies..how awful!

I sincerely hope the message gets through that your children will respect our flowers whether you teach them or others do.

Teach your children to spend time peacefully in the park watching and listening for birds.Spotting wildlife and learning the names of the trees and flowers, be responsible for the beginnings of their community spirit.

Saturday last, in the Horniman Gardens, a child of about 4/5 picked a purple crocus, in a bed of them in the grass, only to be chastised by a mortified mother, child embarrassed, will not do it again.

The bed however was bashed, as though children/adults/dogs had mown over it.

The daffodills along the edge of Peckham Rye are a delight, harbingers of Spring, so cheap to buy, why spoil it for everyone else, such a short period, do not thieve from everyone else's joy

Louisa Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > As nice as they are, they are a misnomer in

> > reality, a floral graffiti to some. They're a

> > usually a planted hybrid stock, in a pretty but

> > unnatural planting scheme.

> >

> > I'd personally rather they didn't plant Daf's

> > under trees, it's out of context. I prefer them

> in

> > beds, much like tulips. I wonder why they dont

> > plant Tulips in the same way.

> >

> > That said, it's out of order to trash or pick

> > stuff which is there for eveyone to enjoy.

>

>

> What about the wild meadow flower section at the

> Adys Road side of Goose Green? This is left to

> grow naturally with wild flowers from all seasons?

> No scheme, just randomly arranged.

>

> Louisa.

And the beautiful one along by the cemetery, love that

This happens in my local park this time of year for Mother's Day. All the daffodils are picked. I even saw a mum and child walking along and the child had a bunch of them in her hands. I was tempted to make a comment but knew I would have got backlash. It really annoys me

It saddens me that these 'mummies'dont realise the flowers are there for everyones pleasure.

Many people live in flats and don't have the luxury of being able to sit outside and gaze at flowers unless they go to to a park.

and more to the point we all pay for those flowers out of our council tax-so yes...It is stealing from you and I.

And yes..I do think it stems from a godawful smug sense of entitlement

I was in Ruskin park the other day and squirrels were eating the heads of crocuses and an adult was watching her dog digging up plants in the flower beds (even though dogs are supposed to be on a leash in that area).....there are morons everywhere

Yes,we saw the squirrels eating the crocuses in Dulwich park the other day. I expect they really look forward to seeing them at this time of the year..a squirrel delicacy! My small children were horrified when they saw them saying look the squirrels are picking the flowers..so funny!

We can excuse the squirrels as they don't have 'responsible walkers,owners or parents to guide their antisocial behaviour.

pommie Wrote:

> This happens in my local park this time of year

> for Mother's Day. All the daffodils are picked. I

> even saw a mum and child walking along and the

> child had a bunch of them in her hands. I was

> tempted to make a comment but knew I would have

> got backlash. It really annoys me

Picking daffodils also shortens their life as once daffodils that are fully out are picked the most they'll last, even if put in water, is a couple of days whereas if left in situ it will be another couple of weeks.

loni Wrote:

> Good positive comments everyone. Look out in

> Peckham Rye Park for some lovely posters designed

> by our playgroup. And please do not be afraid to

> confront the pickers, they have to be told.

Saw these yesterday, wondered who'd done that, great idea! Thanks!

If the children are not taught to respect the flowers/parks etc then it's not their fault, they are just being kids. It's the parents/ careers that need to show more respect for their surroundings and teach the kids how to behave. I'm a parent of 3 young children so understand that it can be hard to reign in inquisitive little people but Its up to us as the adults to ensure they understand why we don't pick them etc.

I don't appreciate comments referring to children as 'brats' though, lets show and teach them respect and community spirit or the problem just perpetuates as they grow older and become parents!.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

On

> the radio recently someone mentioned how the boom

> in house prices has given rise to 'attitude' in a

> way that didn't exist in areas like this twenty

> years ago. Maybe the two are related?

That sounds like good old-fashioned snobbery to me. People with and without money are equally as likely to be selfish and inconsiderate.

> . On

> the radio recently someone mentioned how the boom

> in house prices has given rise to 'attitude' in a

> way that didn't exist in areas like this twenty

> years ago. Maybe the two are related?

Yes because areas outside gentrified ones are beacons of civility and courtesy - sounds like another Guardian reader talking upper crap to me. Middle class guilt crap.

???? Wrote:

> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > . On

> > the radio recently someone mentioned how the

> boom

> > in house prices has given rise to 'attitude' in

> a

> > way that didn't exist in areas like this twenty

> > years ago. Maybe the two are related?

>

>

> Yes because areas outside gentrified ones are

> beacons of civility and courtesy - sounds like

> another Guardian reader talking upper crap to me.

> Middle class guilt crap.

Not often Quids and I agree but I've lived on rough council estates where a sapling or a flowerbed wouldn't last five minutes before being torn up - there are inconsiderate arses (and wonderful people) in every social and economic strata.

> I understood it to mean that some people's sense

> of self-worth seems to be indexed to the value of

> their property. Personally I thought they had a

> point, but then I rent so I guess I would.

>

> Where are the non-gentrified areas of London

> anyway?

That is doubtless true for many, but I'd say generally the more someone's invested in their property the more they're invested in wanting the area to be "nice," not wreck it. I dunno, all I know is I didn't let children in my care pick the flowers when I had nothing and I don't now I've reached the heady heights of owning a one bed flat in ED!

Non-gentrified areas...Woolwich, it's fearsome.

> Woolwich. Now there's a thought. Since Deptford

> and New Cross started to go upmarket I though

> there was nowhere left.

A mate was buying a house in Plumstead last year (complicated, fell through as she and her partner decided to stay together!) and it was stupid cheap (for London) - something like ?280K for a good sized Victorian two bed with a decent garden. It's alright there too, some nice parks, easy access to the countryside and no distance to Canary Wharf if one works there.