Upland Road (top end) street party

Polly D

Just want to tell you all about the fabulous street party we enjoyed yesterday in the top end of Upland Road. Organized by some super residents and with the support of the council, we had a great afternoon of live music, neighbourly chat, games, food and even a visit from the Mayor of Southwark!

Highly recommended community event - try it in your street!

There's a guy at the top of our road who has his own street party every day. Perhaps we should persuade the Mayor of Southwark to pay him a visit.

Yours sounds lovely though, Polly D. (Word!) Where there cakes and such? And bunting? The last street party I was at was deep in the 1970s and such things were firmly part of the proceedings.

I too was at the Upland Road Street Party and it was completely marvellous!! I admit to being a little luke warm to the whole idea before hand, but everyone got really stuck in and as helium balloons were released against the backdrop of the gorgeous view I was delighted that I moved there. Live music, great food, games for the kids...a brilliant day was had by all, but I agree that if it was LL it would be a nightmare. Upland was shut to traffic for 12 hours!

I, too watched jealously from the next down section of Upland Rd. Last year someone on Crebor street threw a fab street party complete with jazz band, which I also missed (I was away) - so jealous of that one as well.

A couple of sets of my elderly neighbours have had parties however, and they have been a total hoot. My 82 yr old next door neighbour threw one for her 80th and it was comletely raucous - she was telling me afterwards that she had a pair of pick knickers hanging from the light fitting in her front room!!!

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Street party - thank god I live a few streets away

> from Upland Road or else i'd have been onto the

> council about people obstructing a public highway

> and causing noise pollution.

And they would have told you that it was being done with council permission, and to stop bothering them.

Can only people that live in that part of the street attend then? That seems a bit crap.

Bloody stinking council. A bunch of do gooders and single mums with nothing better to do go and ask for a street party without thinking about people who need to use the road and street and dont want noise around them. I hate community events like that. Whats the point? And anyway, only some people can attend? Boo Hoo!

OK I have sat back for too long: Louisa ? I think you can be a little cruel at times!!!

Polly ? I live on Henslowe Road and I too was a little envious BUT you all looked like you was having so much fun and well done to all that was involved in the organisation. That?s what I love about East Dulwich it has a really nice community feel (apart from the odd few that seem to be a little bitter!!!)

• Administrator

I do not usually do this publicly but Louisa, please refrain from being inflammatory to people. We have had private words before about this and how your attitude is flippantly vindictive, as previously discussed you may not be aware of it, but it is. Let no more be said about it but feel free to go to the party this Friday and introduce yourself to Mark and I will ensure he buys you a drink on my behalf to show there are no hard feelings.

This thread is soon to be Lounged unless it goes back on topic.