Crystal Palace Sports Centre

zephyr

I know a lot of ED people use the sports centre. We use it every week for our girls swimming lessions. It is currently completely closed for 'circumstances beyond our control'. Does anyone have any idea why its closed? Have they found asbestosor something or is there a different Health and Safety issue (I would imagine that it is a H&S issue)?

Brillliant pool, brilliant building.....

It is closed because it is undergoing major renovations on the heating systems and pipe works.

However the Major of London proposed to have it knocked down several years ago, moved closer to the station (1000metres) and reduced to a standard sports centre (small pool, play zone etc) but his proposal was rejected by people who use the centre in its current incarnation.

So...this could just be another attempt to get his own way via the backdoor. Do not be surprised if you read something like this in the future.

?While replacing pipe work in the sports centre it was discovered that it would be economically unwise to continue as the infrastructure was in a far worse condition than expected"

Cue - pool remaining closed for 2 years while everyone argues, eventually it gets knocked down and moved to the station site. The pool water is now red hot, the pool itself has shrunk by 50%, but fat kids are having great fun in the ball Pool!

Ps.. Ear ache was probably caused by the fact that the pool is a racing pool and the water is never warm. As you work out in the pool your body heat rises but the pool being cool means you can continue to train hard.

Try wearing earplugs this should help.

Found THIS from another forum on which someone has posted an article from the Croydon Guardian.

Looks like it is asbestos initially, but it was going to be closed from November for the heating/electrics refit. Not due to open again til June '08!!!!!!

Annoyingly Mrs Keef and I were saying just last night that we were going to join a couple of classes there :(

I figured it was something like asbestos and not a planned closure. We have paid for the course swimming lessons until the end of term (mid december) which would suggest the centre would not be closing fully for the refurb.

It sounds like they started preparatory work and discovered the stuff.