Sainsbury's field

I was reading a post on another thread & it got me thinking, when I was a young pup & used to go to Dulwich Hamlet, there was a large grassed area that backed on to the school that was always called Sainsbury's field. I remember that they used to make us walk round it picking up litter (and I think we enjoyed it!!). That was probably around (alot of) years ago I was just wondering if they still owned it, or if they ever owned it (it could be just a name). I know it's definitely still there but I was just curious if anyone knows?

They owned but swapped it for the right to build their supermarket on what was then Kings College Hospital Medical School playing fields.

The Sainsbury's playing field used to host a massive annual fete for all Sainsburys employees - and on the Sunday you'd have lots of coachloads rolling up for it.

Previously the field where sainsburys car park is belonged to Kings but they did a swap and Kings now own the Griffin Sports Ground in Dulwich Village instead. What I was saying was that I think they got the whole site in the deal INCLUDING the area where Dulwich Hamlet Football Club is. I am pretty sure that Sainsburys also own the park/green area on Dog Kennel Hill and have it as a park in order to appease thSouthwark Council

I know where you're talking about EDA, beyond the netballs courts behind the playground at Dulwich Hamlet school. It was the Griffin Athletic Club and the grounds were owned by Sainsburys. The big house on the corner of Village way I believe used to be owned by Sainsburys too.

Ahhh. got my bearings now - I was talking about the area that sainsburys had owned. As I said on a different thread, I had my wedding reception there in 1990 but since then Sainsburys swapped it with Kings for the area on Dog Kennel hill. Kings now use it for the various sports and social activities.

Sorry for the confusion - when Dulwich Hamlet was mentioned I assumed the football club (there is still an open space behind the store)