Double Rainbow

Vince

Rainbows do not actually exist.

They are an Optical Illusion caused by a Prismatic effect of the sunlight on raindrops.

Rainbows viewed from High Altitude Aircraft can be seen as complete Circles.

So sadly they do not have Ends and hence no 'Pot of Gold' :(

Nice Pics though. ;-)

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rainbows do not actually exist.

>

> They are an Optical Illusion caused by a Prismatic

> effect of the sunlight on raindrops.

>

> Rainbows viewed from High Altitude Aircraft can be

> seen as complete Circles.

>

> So sadly they do not have Ends and hence no 'Pot

> of Gold' :(

>

> Nice Pics though. ;-)

Hey thanks for that DulwichFox - could you make sure you pop round on xmas eve and give my kids the hard facts about Mr Claus?

;-)

Lol, Keef and legalbeagle.

We saw the double rainbow from the front of a bus on the way to Deptford, and at one point the end of the main bow appeared to be over Canary Wharf.

Was amazing how it got brighter and brighter.

I love rainbows :) Would like to have seen it over East Dulwich, so thanks for the pix!

legalbeagle Wrote:

-----------------------

> Hey thanks for that DulwichFox - could you make

> sure you pop round on xmas eve and give my kids

> the hard facts about Mr Claus?

>

> ;-)

No Problem.

Should I explain about Tooth Fairies as well. ;-)

Trouble is, Who does eat the Mince Pie and drink the Sherry. ?

Where does the Sixpence under the pillow come from. ?

I did think the rainbow was beautiful, hence my earlier posting. However I don't think doubble or even triple rainbows are that unusual-if you look carefully they are often there. However I think this one was brighter than usual, perhaps because the quality of the light and the placing of the dark clouds

In truth light is white, but when refraction of light in water takes place, the human eye perceives the entire gamut of colours.

This is completely incorrect. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Different colours are just different frequencies of light. The water vapour disperses the coloured components of white light at different angles. There is no illusion.

Some people believe that Rainbows have magical healing properties, and it is said that faith healers use the colours of the rays separately to heal different ailments. Even the pharmaceutical company's believe this to be true and colour their medicines accordingly. It is also believed that a rainbow is sent by god to help ease the pain and suffering and happens after tragic incidents.

I don't believe any of this mumbo jumbo myself.

Jacko.

Oh dear, this has become mumbo jumbo couched in unreasonable deductions based on experiential evidence.

Jeremy is quite right, our Basque friends do not have the inside story on rainbows. Refraction does bend light waves of different frequencies by different degrees. A rainbow is not an illusion. Blue light, with it's smaller wavelength will be bent (scattered) more than longer wavelength red light. It's the same reason the sky is blue (all that blue light scattered all over the place) and sunsets are red (because all of the shorter wavelength colours have been scattered by traveling through so much atmosphere leaving just the red to travel to your eye).

Pills have a different colour not because colours are 'healing' but because the mind responds differently to colour signals that are entirely natural in their provenance.