Ginger Bread junk collections? Upland rd area

Rosie111

A lady was knocking on doors this evening asking for donations of any old junk for a Ginger Bread car boot sale. Didn't think anything of it til she was asking what time I and my neighbours usually get home, so they know what time to come and collect stuff from us next week.

Remembered recent thread on here about bogus charity collections so googled Ginger Bread and couldn't find anything (there's a charity called Gingerbread but can't see that this is the kind of thing they'd do to fundraise??). And the note she left with me and was posting through doors doesn't have logo/website/charity number on it.

Any clues? This really could be genuinely nice people doing a nice thing - but slightly freaking out that I might have advertised when would be a good time to burgle my house.

Gingerbread is a group for single parents. It could be kosher or it could be a scam. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone knocking on my door what time I would be home though. Did you ask when/where the boot sale was going to be held?

Ha, what I was trying to say is that because Gingerbread does exist it could be real plea for help, and the lady collecting didn't realise how her door knocking came across. If you have her details then I would suggest she put her details on the forum. Or she could be one of those people who collects stuff for herself and then sells it on to line her own pocket. Perhaps contact Gingerbread and ask if there is a local branch and if so get their contact details.

Thanks Cate, I think I will do that. I only got suspicious because the note said Ginger Bread rather than "Gingerbread" which is such a small discrepancy but usually charities spell their own names correctly! And if they are having a carboot then I want to know where and when - love nothing better than a good carboot! x

I think it's kosher. She's been round a few times over the past couple of years and taken some odd bits and pieces from me. Also, she didn't ask what time I'd be home from work, she just said leave anything on the doorstep when she comes round next week.

If the caller gave you her details then you should ask her where and when the boot sale is. Otherwise I like to give stuff to the Hospice Shop on LL. Hospices do amazing work. I have had personal experience of how they work.