tube station in ED

I think whether or not a tube would bring benefits to south London would depend on your definition of 'benefit', and what the alternative uses were for the cash. It might be a net loss to south London if funding on something more important was lost.

The logic that the railway is impractical because you live a long way from it is lost on me. The tube would also be impractical if you lived a long way from the tube station.

The point about the affordability of your house is also a bit confusing - if it had been within half a mile of a tube station you wouldn't have been able to afford it. Is that a benefit? QED.

Pretty sure that the far southern reaches of the Northern Line are affordable, but would you want to live there. Places like Tooting Broadway, Colliers Wood and Morden. I did look at houses in Tooting and they were the same price as here, at the time, but much smaller. Also didn't like the area.

I should point out that as North London lacks rail services, as someone said earlier, but South London had extensive Southern Railway (as it was pre 1940s) services, which were electrified very early on (1920s). So, as tube lines had to be profitable, then the fact the Southern had the area sown up will have discouraged any rivals from getting involved in providing more services.

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pretty sure that the far southern reaches of the

> Northern Line are affordable, but would you want

> to live there. Places like Tooting Broadway,

> Colliers Wood and Morden. I did look at houses in

> Tooting and they were the same price as here, at

> the time, but much smaller. Also didn't like the

> area.

Um, that means they're not the same price - your buck goes further in ED than those places because ED is cheaper. I'd guess the tube is a big factor in that.

Huguenot Wrote:

> I think whether or not a tube would bring benefits

> to south London would depend on your definition of

> 'benefit', and what the alternative uses were for

> the cash. It might be a net loss to south London

> if funding on something more important was lost.

>

> The logic that the railway is impractical because

> you live a long way from it is lost on me. The

> tube would also be impractical if you lived a long

> way from the tube station.

>

> The point about the affordability of your house is

> also a bit confusing - if it had been within half

> a mile of a tube station you wouldn't have been

> able to afford it. Is that a benefit? QED.

Nearness - you never know they might build a tube station nearer than the train stations are now. I agree this is massively unlikely. But what I'm thinking about are those journeys where I currently use a bus to connect with a tube. If the Bakerloo got to Peckham that would be a world of difference from getting it at Elephant.

True enough about affordability.

And I come back to average journey times - frequency and interconnections with other lines/modes. So even if the tube station were further away than the train station, the journey might be quicker end to end on average.

The likelihood of a Tube station in SE22 is practically non-existent, and that of one in Camberwell is nearly as unlikely, but a stop on the train line at Camberwell would be a relatively inexpensive way of offering SE5 residents a way into and out of Elephant, and then beyond. That would take pressure off the buses which are often crowded and which bunch up due to congestion and their constant stopping and starting. In the meantime I suggest walking more. Distances that seem biblical shrink remarkably when you put your best foot forward.

Nero Wrote:

> The likelihood of a Tube station in SE22 is

> practically non-existent, and that of one in

> Camberwell is nearly as unlikely, but a stop on

> the train line at Camberwell would be a relatively

> inexpensive way of offering SE5 residents a way

> into and out of Elephant, and then beyond. That

> would take pressure off the buses which are often

> crowded and which bunch up due to congestion and

> their constant stopping and starting. In the

> meantime I suggest walking more. Distances that

> seem biblical shrink remarkably when you put your

> best foot forward.

Agree about Camberwell - as another poster said, anything would be good.

Best foot forward - that' all very well, but Honor Oak to Elephant is a LEETLE bit far.

The service through Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill along the Thameslink route is a shared service between SouthEastern and First Capital Connect. During the peaks, they go to Luton/Bedford and off-peak to Kentish Town.

Drivers change at Blackfriars where the train becomes a 'Thameslink' train as Southeastern's franchise doesn't cover the route north of there.

As for Tube like services, I'd just use Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park, where you get charged tube style fares on Oyster PAYG. (as long as you change at Canada Water or Whitechapel for the tube or Shadwell for DLR)

Apologies if it has been mentioned before but wouldn't the best solution be to turn he LB-Peckham-ED-TulseHill line into an Overground line and run trains every 5 mins.

Wouldn't that keep all the people can't remember the timetable happy? Although the Sunday timetable is weak - it has to be said.

henryb Wrote:

> Apologies if it has been mentioned before but

> wouldn't the best solution be to turn he

> LB-Peckham-ED-TulseHill line into an Overground

> line and run trains every 5 mins.

>

> Wouldn't that keep all the people can't remember

> the timetable happy? Although the Sunday timetable

> is weak - it has to be said.

Everyone in ED would be happy but I'm not sure about all the other bits of South London who will have to lose services in order to provide the platform space at LB and, more importantly, the track availability at the cross over points. There has been a lot of 'unravelling of spaghetti' in terms of what routes use what bits of track but a quick view of Google Earth and you can see why at least one major construction project is needed for an underpass before such a frequent service could be a possibility.