response to enquiry re Rye Lane Cycling

Going south it's impossible to use, badly positioned lamp posts, bollards etc. and pedestrians use it. It is far safer to cut across the pedestrian area (slowly) I always give pedestrians priority and cycle very slowly. Going north it's not much better because it's difficult to position yourself properly at the lights from that angle, street furniture in the way etc. The cycle lane down alongside the path on the Rye is ridiculous, so dangerous when buses are parked because pedestrians walk straight onto it from between buses as they don't know it's a cycle path. I'm not a fan of slippery blue cycle paint but it would be a short term fix here.

Having had a good response (it seems) to complaint to councellor about poor road surface at top of Rye lane, can something be done about road surface at Kings on the Rye junction as it was once known, going East from Goose Green the road is bad, which causes risks for cyclists at a busy junction when they need to concentrate on traffic and cannot swerve around pot holes.

Rye Lane is often so crowded with pedestrians on the pavement, that I have found myself walking in the road simply to get to where I have to go - dentist or station.I certainly had not noticed any dedicated cycle routes in Rye Lane. I don't know why they can't be more clearly marked, as they certainly should and are elsewhere.

RecorderSue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rye Lane is often so crowded with pedestrians on

> the pavement, that I have found myself walking in

> the road simply to get to where I have to go -

> dentist or station.I certainly had not noticed any

> dedicated cycle routes in Rye Lane. I don't know

> why they can't be more clearly marked, as they

> certainly should and are elsewhere.

Because it wont look 'pretty' if it were painted blue or indicated more clearly. It's clear that when designing the camouflaged cycle route aesthetics were the main concern over anything else like functionality etc. At the absolute bare minimum all they need to do is to paint white lines like they do on all other shared cycle/pedestrian pavements. Won't cost much and may make it much clearer for everyone. Ideally painting the surface a different color altogether will benefit all.

Hi all, just to say I reading all your thoughts and comments and I will relay them to officers. I don't believe there is scope for major changes to the set up at the moment. This would only be feasible at the point at which the Aylsham Centre redevelopment occurs. There could however be scope for interim measures to improve the site for cyclists and pedestrians.

Thanks Renata

titch juicy Wrote:

> How about a tiny raised border where the cycle

> lane meets the pedestrian bit, to raise awareness

> of the cycle lane? I imagine it's a cheapish

> interim solution?

That just introduces a trip hazard for pedestrians and a "clipping wheels" hazard for cyclists. Similar to that awful ribbed tactile paving (in theory designed to assist visually impaired people in working out the pedestrian side of shared use paths) that becomes super slippy in the wet

• 2 weeks later...

I complained about this stretch of road a year (or so) ago when they resurfaced it at the bus stop (which wasn't that bad) but didn't continue to the dangerous bit that you refer to. I didn't get a response and after one too many near misses whilst trying to avoid the holes, I changed my route.

peckhamside Wrote:

> Having had a good response (it seems) to complaint

> to councellor about poor road surface at top of

> Rye lane, can something be done about road surface

> at Kings on the Rye junction as it was once known,

> going East from Goose Green the road is bad, which

> causes risks for cyclists at a busy junction when

> they need to concentrate on traffic and cannot

> swerve around pot holes.

It seems to be impossible to get this section near Kings on the Rye made safer. I have complained about it. Other potholes get filled but this bit simply continues to deteriorate. The lanes are narrow,and the traffic is trying to go too fast.

It is a very bad place to be trying to swerve around potholes.