East Dulwich Rd & Peckham Rye junction

richfish

The junction box was put in to solve the problem of traffic blocking the North/ South traffic route so removing it isn't an option and I agree that filter lights for turning right are the only solution, but it will take a year to make that happen and only if TFL agree......but it still is something that should be pushed for in drawing up the plans.

With respect PeckhamRose, it is not.

I quite see that we should communicate our concerns. I do not see it's our duties as citizens to turn up in the evenings to meetings where a) we'd be repeating our comments already sent in on b) failings of the Council/TfL that c) probably won't be improved anyway.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "P.S. the timings are ridiculously tight for

> traffic on E Dulwich Road turning right in either

> direction. Certainly under 3 seconds."

>

> Exactly! That's why it is important for people who

> agree to go to council meetings to persuade them

> to improve it.

I think some of the problems at these lights come with the fact that some people don't know that if you are turning right, eg, ED Road into Rye Lane, you can enter the box and wait. Instead they hover at the edge of the box and then race over when the lights turn red, almost causing pile-ups.

Some of the probs are people making illegal right turns from n.Rye Lane into ED Road - I suppose cameras at the junction would solve this one.

I think what frustrates me is when people say 'there's no point complaining/ or consulting because nothing ever changes or is done anyway'. We have the processes and beurocrasy we have because we accept it (we ARE a nation of compainants/ not activists). These things can be changed but it requires lobbying of those we vote into power to take on board the changes we want to see and force them to represent them in return for our vote.

Because of apathy we have a culture where the officials come to us and say this is what we propose, or this is our policy/ manifesto - and we either agree or we don't. If we want to change anything we need to reverse that flow of ideas. WE should be telling the political parties what they stand for/ what policy they should adopt.....at present we don't.

So whilst a person may think that going to a transport meeting doesn't change anything (and I'll agree sometimes it doesn't) going to meetings will in the long run change the power shift from officials to public lobbying. After all, if a room only contains ten people, it places a different emphasis on suggestions, compared to a room of 100.

Councillor Edwards said something very true last night, that 'Only those that keep asking get anywhere'. In the present climate that is going to be truer than ever.

DJKQ that may well all be true but it doesn't get around the fact that most people can't or won't turn up to such things. It's unrealistic to expect turnouts of even tens on issues such as this. That doesn't mean they don't matter.

What I would be in favour of is better publicisation of consultations - and someone actually listening to the responses. We've all got a part to play in this, I agree.

But to me what happened with Burgess Park was much more like it - there were meetings, sure, but there were also ways to engage online and by email - thanks to the action group, the council and the developers - that are far more realistic than expecting people to turn up to meetings. With the greatest of respect to councillors, it's partly what they're paid for. We're not.

I agree that consultation should be far better publicised. At the moment it goes out via community groups, which is great if you are connected to one, not great if you are not. The southwark website does though list everything under consultation but it's such a big site that it can be difficult to navigate around.

One thing I pointed out at a CC meeting was that we also need more clarity on how the decisions that are made following consultations are made too. I would favour the publication of ALL minutes of ALL council meetings for example.

Also last night we saw a draft plans for a scheme for the very north end of Peckham Rye. Right away I noticed it included narrowing a piece of road that was widened years ago because of the traffic issues it caused (and it solved them). The designer of course doesn't know this (he hasn't lived in the areas for 20 years like I have). He's had what he thinks is a nice pedestrian friendly idea, but is ignorant of the history of road improvements there over the years. I know I will have to do far more than turn up at a sub-committee meeting to make sure this aspect of the plan is changed, if we are to avoid recreating the problem that existed before only 12 months later to see the council waste further money reversing it. But you are right....it's shouldn't be up to the public to point these things out.

One of the reasons one of the roads was widened so, including the loop on one of the islands opposite the Co-op building, was to incorporate the 12 bendy bus to be able to loop around when it stopped at Peckham Rye. If TfL gets rid of Bendy busses, they could spend lots of money narrowing that loop, or save money and leave it as it is!

Medley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> With respect PeckhamRose, it is not.

>

> I quite see that we should communicate our

> concerns. I do not see it's our duties as citizens

> to turn up in the evenings to meetings where a)

> we'd be repeating our comments already sent in on

> b) failings of the Council/TfL that c) probably

> won't be improved anyway.

The advantage of turning up in the evening to a meeting with the lead councillor, the transport officer, the chap in charge of the planning policy for Peckham and a selection of local active residents is pretty obvious, Medley. You get to talk things through, persuade the councillor and officers of your case, and adjust what you are asking for according to the council's plans.

I thought Thursday's meeting was useful, we had a range of views that helped Simon Phillips shape the council's plans.

Living Streets are also doing even more involved work, rolling up their sleeves to produce detailed suggestions that they are presenting at community council meetings, sub-group meetings, to the Peckham Town Centre forum and elsewhere. They are making progress, and have a track record with Walworth Road.

If you'd rather just whinge then of course the council will ignore you :)