Valentines Day in ED

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you been to Ganapati on Holly Grove? Pricey

> (budget about ?120 plus tip for two for three

> courses with a bottle of wine and an aperitif and

> digestif each) but worth every penny.

?120 for indian hahaha what a rip-off mate... save 5 meals and go to india yourself to eat food.

Yes good idea, well let's close all restaurants and only eat food in its country of origin - even a couple of pizzas will get you an Easyjet to Italy. Silly thing to say.

The food in Ganapati is exceptionally good and it's not necessary to push the boat out as we do on our (very occasional, alas) special occasion blowouts there. Main courses are ?7.50 - ?14.50, like anywhere else, you can pretty much spend as much or as little as you like.

I have no connection at all with Ganapati by the way, apart from being a very satisfied customer.

geobz Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Have you been to Ganapati on Holly Grove?

> Pricey

> > (budget about ?120 plus tip for two for three

> > courses with a bottle of wine and an aperitif

> and

> > digestif each) but worth every penny.

>

>

> ?120 for indian hahaha what a rip-off mate... save

> 5 meals and go to india yourself to eat food.

You'll still struggle to get a table :)

I'm up for a bit of romance as much as the next person, but my advice would be to ignore Valentines day as it's nothing more than a marketing scam designed to make you part with your hard earned cash, and then to make you feel guilty if you don't participate or unloved if your expectations aren't met. Miserable.

There are tons of great restaurants around here so if you want to make an occasion of it wait until the weekend and go then. On the day itself you could make a lovely meal together.

geobz Wrote:

> ?120 for indian hahaha what a rip-off mate

You don't need to spend that much though... 2 main courses, a side, rice, bread, a couple of drinks... now you're talking ~?55. We don't all have Rendel's extravagant dining budget!

Jeremy Wrote:

> geobz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ?120 for indian hahaha what a rip-off mate

>

> You don't need to spend that much though... 2 main

> courses, a side, rice, bread, a couple of

> drinks... now you're talking ~?55. We don't all

> have Rendel's extravagant dining budget!

Even Rendel doesn't have that extravagant dining budget! My figures were what we spent on 5th and 10th wedding anniversaries and our respective 40th birthdays, so very much special occasion blowouts...mind you, 15th wedding anniversary August, better start saving now...

Yes a very acceptable meal for two with a couple of drinks can be had in Ganapati for around ?50 plus tip.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I have eaten at Ganapatti.. Amongst the worst

> Indian food I have ever had..

>

> Their little Starter selection could easily of

> been 'IceLand Indian party Selection.' ?2.00 for

> 16 pieces BOGOF.

> That sort of thing.. Their rice 'one lump or two'

>

>

> Really taking the P.

>

> DulwichFox

But you eat at places like Jafflong.

Ganapati is in a different league altogether.

If you are used to bog standard Indian food which you can find in any UK high street, you probably won't appreciate more subtle food from restaurants like Ganapati.

Each to their own.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I have eaten at Ganapatti.. Amongst the worst

> Indian food I have ever had..

>

> Their little Starter selection could easily of

> been 'IceLand Indian party Selection.' ?2.00 for

> 16 pieces BOGOF.

> That sort of thing.. Their rice 'one lump or two'

>

>

> Really taking the P.

>

> DulwichFox

Well, maybe you hit a bad day Fox, I don't know. I can only say that I've taken my Indian parents-in-law there (one from Calcutta, one from Goa) and they both said (and they're notoriously picky eaters to whom the concept of being polite for the sake of it is entirely foreign) it was the best Indian food they'd eaten in the UK since coming here in 1958. Make of that what you will.

Also adding a big thumbs up for Ganapatti. The food is excellent, especially compared to the other (largely very poor) Indian restaurants in the area. It's in a different league altogether. If Jaflong is your idea of good food, there's little hope! I wouldn't go to Ganapatti for Valentine's Day though, in fact we avoid restaurants altogether and have a nice meal at home.

edcam Wrote:

> Also adding a big thumbs up for Ganapatti. The

> food is excellent, especially compared to the

> other (largely very poor) Indian restaurants in

> the area. It's in a different league altogether.

If Jaflong is your idea of good food, there's little hope! I wouldn't go to Ganapatti for

> Valentine's Day though, in fact we avoid

> restaurants altogether and have a nice meal at

> home.

Why do people go on about Jaflong.. I have used Jaflong more than some others in the past but I have never

said it was the best Indian Restaurant. I liked it because it was mainly quiet.

Don't use Jaflong old/new much these days since they stopped selling Alcohol.

Ok they do BYOB but (Cannot be bothered to lug beer around with me)

I rotate which place I use. Tandori Nights being the only one I never use.

Don't think I would go any Indian Rest. for a Valentines dinner.

As for it being an off day/night. It was a Curry Club night. 8 of us and Ganapatti got plenty

of warning we were coming. Not sure what the others thought about the food. It was a couple

of years ago, but the Curry Club has not expressed any desire to go back..

DulwichFox

DulwichFox

Ganapati is not your average Tandoori. In my opinion the food is well cooked, tasty and a nice change from the norm.

Curry Club hasnt been to Ganapati since because its not on the Lane and previous attempts to go further afield havent worked well. In addition some members of Curry Club prefer a more traditional Tandoori, and that is fine.

I have been back to Ganapati and have always enjoyed it.

In defence of Fox, the first time I went to Ganapati, my thoughts were similar... very underwhelming "street food selection" starter, tough meat, salty-yet-bland sauce, expensive.

But have been back (eat-in occasionally, takeaway frequently) and always really enjoyed pretty much every other meal since. And I've also come across several Indian people who really rate it - authenticity is not everything, but nevertheless it's a reassuring endorsement. I suppose restaurants can have a bad day (or a bad dish). But I still avoid the starter selection!

I walk that way quite often .. Ganapatti advertise a Lunch time (12.00 - 14.30) selection of meals for ?7.50 ish

I have looked in with the intention of giving them another bash. But! the place appears to be closed. All in darkness at those times.

The T/A seems to be non-functional with a Motor-bike parked inside and a large Trellis table with odd jars

of spices and pans. No sign of life. There appears to be no counter / Hatch.

Can't work it out.

Foxy