How about Ivanhoe Road?

Loz

Since someone asked about Marmora Road, I thought I'd add a request for experiences of Ivanhoe Road, especially towards the estate end. It might be a little prejudiced (apologies), but that bit looks like it have the potential to be a little dodgy.

Anyone live around there and have experiences of walking after dark to/from the station/Sainsburys?

I nearly bought a flat in that area a couple of months ago. I asked a similar question, you can see the responses here:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,24937,25777#msg-25777

Everyone seems to think it's OK round there, but in the end I decided against snapping up what looked like a bargain - the proximity to the estate would have made it very hard to sell on again.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone live around there and have experiences of

> walking after dark to/from the station/Sainsburys?

Not there as such, but I leave near, as you know. Only part I thought was dodgy was the pub "The Ivanhoe" but as it's now Hoopers, nowt to worry about. You'll have to come down for a pint-ette one evening.

E

I've lived at the estate end for 12 years and never had a problem, it's actually a pretty quiet estate, the usual little gangs of teens hanging about on a summer evening but not trouble makers. I'm always back and forth from Sainsburys and the station and I honestly feel safe (I am female BTW!) at all times of the day!

The little block at the end is due to be demolished at some point and replaced with another block. It has squatters in at the mo, but they're quiet and have even brightened the place up with flowers and plants!

Oh and house prices down this end aren't affected by the estate at all!!

We also live on Grove Hill Road and love it! Our neighbours are great and it's really quiet but you're central to all the amenities you could need... Hoopers is lovely and right on the doorstep, plus you've got the benefits of Lordship Lane and Bellenden Road, then over the Rye in Nunhead you've got two good butchers, a grocers, bakers and fishmonger. On Camberwell Church Street there's the Greek delis and bakers, Sainsburys at the top of the road... all within walking distance... the 176 goes straight to Tottenham Court Road from the top of the road.. who could wish for more!

I'm blissfully unaware of any trouble from the estate (even though I cycle through it most days), and I really admire the design and layout - it was a classic in it's day.

wow, this street gets more attention than any other on the forum and so does hoopers, we should be given a post code all to ourselves (nod to current other thread). to add, it's great here.

i have 2 young children and guess what? the kids still play on the street down at the estate end, how rare is that for london? i know all my neighbours, have never experienced any trouble on/with the estate, you are close to the best transport links in the neighbourhood, it's quiet (you don't get any LL spill over at the weekend), the council is just refurbing the estate, there are no estate agents ... shall i go on? no need. just buy and be satisfied that you didn't pay a ridiculous price for a property yet live at the cross roads of bellenden, LL and 'denmark hill village' (copyright jenny eclair)