Dulwich Menus

So the area has changed a lot in recent years. There are no more "all meals for a pound or less" banners hanging outside The Forresters ( I have been on the dole with no money.... no way would I eat a pub meal for a pound or less. I would cut out the middleman)

But there is a generic strand to most of the menus on the Lane. Posh Breakfast. Steak. Sausage and mash. Fish. veggie Option.

That's (give or take) it - and I love all of these dishes but a bit of variety wouldn't go amiss - no classic bistro dishes (Boef Bourginon, Coq au Vin) no mexican staples (Beef chili, Fajitas) , No British stews. There are lots more butthere appears to be a template for most menus these days which has led to a homegenisation (no way have I spelled that right) across the board

Some pubs do try harder than others - The Bishop remains the most diverse menu (loving the chicken and white bean chili) but in the evening they lose a lot of the good daytime meals (the pies for example)

With winter approaching I would love for heartier food to be served.. anyone else?

I agree. Everywhere I've been recently East Dulwich, West Duwlich, Herne Hill or Peckham it's been the same damn menu. Not to say I too don't love my fat home made hamburgers with caramelised onions and rocket but surely some variety? In saying that, the other half had a yellow prawn thai curry in the Rye Hotel which I thought was slightly different from the norm. But homogenity is the flavour of the month. Is that not simply what people want?

The curry in The Rye is pretty good downsouth - a good example of something a wee bit different.

I think the problem is not so much what people want as the type of meals served lend themselves to portion control and quick cooking (burger and onions 17 times? no problem - give me 15 mins)

I've thought about cooking the stuff myself and offering it to pubs if they don't want to take a risk - but really. Other cities manage more variety.. a not expensive place for example is Bourdain's Les Halles - good, simple, cheap bistro food in nice surroundings...

That'll be Le Chardon by the sound of it PGC (acceptable abbreviation?)

The price things is different as is the (variable - but usually badly) service. And it's a bit more formal that the pub vibe I'm after

Anna - there are odd exceptions it's true - but too few IMO (I know it's a small complaint compared to life's bigger issues.. but within the area we are discussing... etc)

Another thing to consider is where one of these establishments varies from the norm they take a huge financial risk - often of their own money. Not many are prepared to do that. I for one wouldn't try to be "too different". Even Le Chandelier is very safe even though it tries to appear different. Same old cakes, drinks and platters available elsewhere. The real difference is the expensive as yet to be paid for decor.

I used to be a chef and find it quite depressing to see the same things on the menu every where you go. There's no imagination anymore....

On the other side of the coin, I took some clients to the Oxo tower a few weeks ago. The waiter recommended I try the Strawberries, with Pimms jelly and cucumber and mint sorbet. I did and boy did I regret it. Keeps things simple I say! As much as I dislike Mr Ramsey, he is quite right in his thinking. People or "chefs" tend to go overboard with a simple dish, there's no need to dress it up and complicate the ingredients.

Not sure, what would clean up right now? Maybe a "good" caribbean restaurant - no not what Jerk Rock was LOL. Blue Mountain although most wouldn't think it has a heavily caribbean influenced menu. But an out and out one perhaps. A good japanese suhsi round these parts would def get my custom. We need something unashamedly itself but with the service and quality expected.

I think a sushi place would do very well (not from me - not until I get over my seafood thing)

The informal bistro food I mentioned I think would do well do (The Drum tried something for a very little while and was delicious but not on the main strip)

I think an upmarket Mexican/South American place would do well (with all due respect to El Paso)

A South Indian menu closer than SE15 also

"Another thing to consider is where one of these establishments varies from the norm they take a huge financial risk - often of their own money. Not many are prepared to do that."

Ok, confession time. I have been the part-owner of a successful catering outlet in Surrey in the past, which had a reputation for good, value for money and healthy food. It was also in an enclosed shopping centre, which is how I know that leaseholders can't get access to retail units between certain hours, which mostly coincide, more or less, with shop opening hours. In another career, I've also been involved in advising on the letting of contracts for catering venues (cafes) in municipal parks, and they can be a little goldmine. If they're not money earners or attractive options for catering operators or contractors, then that tends to be reflected in any rent or premium that's charged. Often council's will carry out modernisation too. Councils often rely on the catering facilities within their parks to encourage a wide cross section of the community to use them. Parks are for everyone, not just kids.

Interesting Frisco, interesting. Would love to have a convo if you turn up to a forum drinks/birthday party on the same subject

That last statement in particular is true. But from the outside it look like a park operator uses the equation - people without kids = people without kids. People with kids = people without kids AND people with kids

But I must stop posting for one day!