Dulwich Park Cafe

AllforNun

Well considering that you are mainly talking about the Architecture of the building what can the response be?

How come Dulwich park got so much money starting from 99', influencial locals, councillors greasing the cogs of grants bodies ..who knows?

But the menu is very limited........eating healthily is really a tall order........eating blandly is easy.......

Let's see what happens at Peckham Rye Cafe ?

I vowed that today would be my last visit to that god awful place!

It's SO noisy for a start, everything echos and the Mums in there insist on booming their boring voices for everyone to hear, whilst letting their kids scream the place down.

My son NEVER eats the food there, and he loves his food.

I enter the cafe feeling fairly relaxed, after an enjoyable play in the park, but I leave feeling so stressed out and ready to scream.

No more... that's it! Hurry up peckham rye cafe, there has to be something better!

Glad to hear that some people on here don't like the cafe - i hope it means they will stop going to the place, I mean, it's busy enough as it is we don't want it clogged up by people who aren'r appreciative.

AllforNun, do you know of any cafe in a park that's worth a visit for it's food?

citizen

I seem to remember it being really nice just 2 years back. I remember being able to order kippers at breakfast. I have kids, but I have to agree with Allfornun, the food there is terrible now. It was really disappointing the last time we tried it. I know its hard to feed children, but surely there's a middle ground. Maybe have a "kids menu" and bring back some of the more adventurous dishes (though is kippers considered adventurous or just retro?).

Yes it's just about the food; I have never read anywhere that says, "Cook for 3hrs slowly at gas mark 2 but not inside the perimeters of an open space, rolling meadow, snow capped peak or even a london park!

How lovely would 2 poached kippers be for breakfast accompanied by the sound of geese from the pond, a poached egg over a bed of rocket as you look out over a frost covered field or a stack of little dollar pancakes with bacon and mapple syrup with a backdrop of children riding an array of crazy bikes......

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted.

What happened?

He lived happily ever after.

AllforNun Wrote:

> Children are not unadventurous and it's not about

> being idealistic - it's just a world does exist

> outisde of the one you may imagine for youself.

>

> "Invention, my dear friend, is 93% perspiration,

> 6% Electricity, 4% Evaporation, and 2%

> butterscotch ripple."

Lovely Allfornun,

I once lectured others at length about childhood nutrition - no honestly, I am a passionate believer in encouraging children to try absolutely everything (although low salt - clearly) . My baby girl loved blue cheese and olives when she was 8 months old, but children being the delightful darlings that they are - realised how much pleasure this gave me and my husband, and subsequently decided to opt for bread, butter and fish fingers... for three years. This is life. All children go through stages of development - some of this behaviour is simply about little children developing and asserting themselves.

It is incredibly easy to be idealistic regarding children and diet when the only experience of raising children comes from books (the academics who wrote them rarely were around to raise their own children - eg. Spock), watching super nanny on TV and reading articles about super King Jamie Oliver. I am talking about myself here - not you, I do not mean to cause offence.

DM

My real objection to Dulwich Park Cafe is that they appear to be a bunch of amateurs; they don't do egg and chips as well as a greasy spoon, they don't do coffee and cake as well as a decent coffee shop, and they can't deliver anything in a reasonable time. I've given up going there at all - I can't stand the wait.

Mmmm DM you seem fixated on the idea of feeding children.

I am sure you may have ventured into Tuscany especially as you regulary mention Italian cuisine and the great cultural pirate J blakcbeard Oliver! This may come as a shock to you but with little prompting from books, magazines or TV programmes, small children, from Italy, France, Spain and even NZ will regularly bite into a ripe tomato, a slice of melon or even mix olives with their chocolate fingers at a childrens party. So forget Idealistic just be realistic.

......lets just end it here .......these people at this cafe are adding water to double expresso's !

"oh the horror, the horror"

Note to Lawyers - This is not Dulwich Park Cafe's machine - just a visual comedic ending ....I thank you.

DaveR--I agree with you. I think that is precisely the problem. They seem to have a problem of logistics (the agonizingly slow service can only point to that) which it appears they are trying to fix by simplifying the menu (or dumbing it down as AllforNun might say. I was there today and waited 15 minutes for a takeaway sandwich. The man behind me was simply getting some juice for his children. There should be a separate line for a start for those not eating at the cafe. And isn't a double espresso with water an Americano?