East Dulwich Harvester

luca9853

Lovely Luca9853,

I would like to say that your impression is correct, but I can't. It is an expensive enough lunch option with children, and there really isn't a lot to occupy them. If you can make it over to Cafe Rouge on Parkhall Road, the food is substantially better, and they give out crayons and colouring books. The staff are more than accommodating and very child friendly.

well luca i,ll jump in here before the residents of ed shoot you to pieces for daring to mention the harvester on the ed forum, you see it dosent serve sun dried this that or the other and i doubt any of the produce is organic,locally sourced or bought from farmers markets so its not really considered a suitable place for most of our forumites, in fact the majority of them would be happy to see the place go and be replaced with yet another clone gastropub, that serves "proper" food with real ales and continental lagers. but as the its been in ed longer than the majority of the forumites i say stuff them. anyway to answer your question the harvester originates from the steak and chips/chicken and chips school of cooking, however there is a good choice of starters/mains and desserts with a pretty good kids menu,plus the world famous;-)salad cart. so if its bog standard fare like chicken/steak/prawn cocktail/oven chips/bbq sauce your after then its highly recommended if not steer clear. personally i like the place as theres nothing like a bit of deep fried scran to raise the spirits plus its cheap and the kids always have a whale of a time there. give it a try you wont know otherwise.

The early-bird menu aside (possibly) I wouldn't call it cheap at all - last time I went i was charged close to ?20 for a fillet steak

To be fair the Harvester has been discussed at length on many a thread in here - spadetownboy is probably correct that most people currently on the forum don't frequent it that much but there seems to be different reasons. The people spadetownboy is alluding to in his inverted-snobbery fashion will probably prefer the pubs on LL (definitely NOT gastro pubs....with the possible exception of Palmerston.. The Bishop for example does hot dogs at ?4 a pop)

There are however a fair contingent of old-schoold ED residents who resent the Harvester for the entirely different reason that a national branded MOR chain gutted a well loved local pub

But most definitely pop along - the food is ok for what it is

well that swings it for me then free colouring books and crayons its cafe rouge from now on. only joking dm we do pop into cafe rouge from time to time but for some reason the kids prefer the harvester they clear their plates and theres the added bonus of them eating green stuff from the salad cart,whereas in cafe rouge its pick at this, pick at that and then wheres my ice-cream

Hang about... the Harvester do give out crayons and colouring stuff. At least they did last time I was there.

The food is a bit manky but not inedible. I'd call it cheap, but then I never go for the steak. It's quick, it's easy, they're good with kids and the kids seem to enjoy it. It serves a purpose, and while I wouldn't be all that sad to see it go I wouldn't rule out popping down occasionally while it's around.

Agree that the Harvester certainly has it's place. I've been there for large family gatherings with lots of kids and can't imagine any other local place catering so well for that (not even the Herne) Whilst accepting the misgivings of some on the forum who knew the place as a proper pub before it became a Harvester, I think much of that is due to it's location - ie the last pub on the Lane before the long trawl to Forest Hill or West Dulwich. This meant that people up this end (Upper East Side? or Southsides of ED) were rather badly off for pubs until we had the (new)Plough. Still, looking at how popular it is, the Grove Tavern certainly serves a purpose.

citizen

When I was studying management, X (ahem...) years ago, the Dulwich Harvester was used as a text book example of best practice and successful of a self-managed staff team in a work environment. That was considered as the future for the management of all staff teams, once.

I wonder if they still do it there?

I know this will probably make me a "snob" but the food there is absolutely disgusting, I couldn't finish my meal last time I was there, neither could the kids. The ambience of the beer garden was lovely though, the grass was covered with decaying food and the gentleman two tables away kept shouting "motherf***er" for no apparent reason. But I guess at the end of the day I'm just a soft, pretentious, snob.

Went at keast 4 years ago. I don't remember it being necessarily bad but then again not so good. Didn't think it was expensive though - just the usuak Harvester fayre. Plus point - it's family friendly. But how I wish it were converted back to a really good pub with really good 'beer'.

Wouldn't go there for a romantic meal, but with the kids it's great. They love the salad cart (and actually eat most of what they choose), the kids meals are good, and the adults are OK. Only ever go early bird though, wouldn't pay full wack. They do give out colouring stuff, and are very accommodating to the kids, which is what we look for nowadays when eating out with them. Oh for the days of long lunches and grown up dinners!!

• 6 months later...

It seems that neither Apax nor Punch Taverns can raise enough money at the right price to fund the purchase of M&B.

M&B seems to be bleeding cash and may not be able to meet this coming quarter's overheads, let alone debt interest.

Could this be the end of our Harvester?

Watch this space.

We went to the Harvester at Beulah Hill a few weeks ago, Early Bird menu, food well cooked and presented. Seemed a little less greasy than Grove Tavern. Colouring sheets and crayons on disply. 88 year old father up from Sussex was very impressed and ate his biggest dinner of the week. Placed was paacked out with families by the time we left.

Tend to use Harvester when middle daughter comes down from Harlow as very few places can accommodate 7 at lunch time.

If all the family went out - there would be 15 of us - an early bird at Harvester would be a cheap option in comparison to other dinners. When the Plough reopened, 6 of us went there, as near to home, after 15 mins walked out as poor choice for kids, and would have cost us around ?60 for a main course and a drink. We ended up at the Grove Tavern, kids happy, daughter and son in law happy with choices of food and so was our wallet.

To be honest, it isn't great at all. When I went there the smoke alarm was on for our ENTIRE meal, and the wine was like gut rot.

Food is ok for what it is. Waitresses try quite hard. Not the best place for a romantic meal, but good for a quick bite.

I can't pass this opportunity to agree quids both quids AND seanmlow!

In the last 5 years the Harverster/Grove has gone from being an old-skool Harvester (not great but solid food and cheapish prices) to a short-lived "posh" menu to where it is now - somewhere in between but with prices at the higher end of the scale

Steaks are in the ?13-?15 range BEFORE you add sauces - for that money I want Franklin's quality steak and what Harvester offer is a long way off that

Service is often well-intentioned but a bit poor quality too