Somewhere to take the other half in and around LL

downsouth

It's her birthday and would like something nice but nothing fancy. So relaxed surroundings. Good fish or veg menu. She is a big fan of LL so thought we might stroll across the village and enjoy the delights.

If I could fit a comedy show or play in as well that would be good. I know the South London Theatre (West Norowood) http://www.southlondontheatre.co.uk have beautiful thing on at the momement but doubt it will be a barrel of laughs.

Having seen both the original stage production at the Donmar and the film, can I just say that actually Beautiful Thing is an absolutely gorgeous heart warming play. Its council estate setting might sound grim but essentially it is a play about falling in love and in particular that wonderful experience of love for the first time. And it is very very funny.

That said, i have no idea what this production is like - but if they are simply faithful to the script, I think yu would have a realy good time.

Downsouth - ahhh - a chance to talk of more relaxed matters ;-)

If you are coming from the Village you could end up at the library - so the Plough is definitely in the "nice but not fancy" category these days after the recent re-opening. Very big garden area at the rear.

If that's a bit too far from the mainstream then wander down LL and have a look at Liqourice - bit of a shaky recent history but appears to be on the mend. Small area at the back is outdoors but quite pleasant on a balmy early evening

Franklins would be a recommendation from me but maybe too fancy - have a look at the menu anyway

Green & Blue would also be a very nice spot - and if you don't fancy the food there you can always bring in food from anywhere else for ?3

If you got to the end of LL and didn't find anywhere amongst the rest of choices you could try The Herne or The Clock House

Comedy wise - it's a darn shame that the East Dulwich Comedy is currently closed for refurb until October - it's a great night out. I would say the nearest bet for good comedy would be Balham (Banana Cabaret at the Bedford)

Just saw the Beautiful Thing reference - echo BB's recommendation .. "That so disempowers you"

I actually went to Rye Hotel yesterday which was excellent. Good food - large portions and great selection of real ale. I did think it was a bit pricey though. I'm in two minds about beautiful thing as I wanted to stay closer to LL, and as per another topic, I'm trying to do my bit by not using the motor so often which is what I'd have to do to get from WN to ED.

Sean - indeed!

Of the ones mentioned do any do a really good sea food/vegetarian option?

I've been to sea cow and despite being a fan it is perhaps a bit too relaxed!

Been to liquorice a few times but for some reason it never feels cosy/welcoming.

The Palmerston, Best food in Lordship Lane myself and partner have had. Ganapati is beautiful if you would like to taste what is probably the best indian (Keralan) food on the planet. May be in SE15 but its worth the trip. Plus the ice cream is out of this world. 15 minute walk from L.L and it can be a nice walk down beautiful street if you plan it well.

Maybe a little off your original beaten track and more walking, but dulwich woods is worth thinking about - it stretches from the plough around the bottom of the golf course - very thick woodland abandonned railway line and some good views. For dinner you can either try the Plough, at the Library end of woods or The Rosendale at the Norwood / tulse hill end.

Thanks for the advice. In the end we went to Blue mountain early on but a prawn/salmon combo seemed to have a bad effect on the other half so we stayed in for the rest of the day. I later went to collect fish and chips from the Sea Cow which seemed to agree with her much more. Interesting list of fish not now sold by the Sea Cow - Monkfish, Blue fin Tuna etc... some of my favourites (guilty blush).

Checked out the Rye Hotel today - it was a long stroll from West Dulwich to peckham and back! Food was fab.