When is a pharmacy not a pharmacy? (Sainsbury's)

David Mc

not sure i understand what this means-i have been buying my meat in sainsbury's for as long as i have lived in east dulwich - i don't have to queue outside for overpriced and in many cases inferior meat. The Jamie Oliver steak is delicious and i think sainsbury's comes in for far to much undue critism-i have never had any problems with buying my meat there.

too true luca

Many is the time I have needed a rabbit jointed, or some bones for some stock and only Sainsbo's did the job. I have never had to Q in there either, I just take my goods to the counter and there is always a cashier (who, by the way, is always all too happy to engage in happy banter)

The Jamie Oliver steak is not only better because he says so but it is always cheaper than a butcher but most importantly I understand they always always give their suppliers a good deal and never use their impressive market might to squeeze suppliers margins ever further

Was that too sarcastic a way to say hello to a new poster? Sorry... Umm... hello? I was being sarcastic to get across some of the main reasons I no longer buy meat in any supermarket. I hope it didn't cause too much offence

I guess if your meat requirements stretch to only pre-packed little pieces of meat in cellophane then they do a fine job. I assume you have bought meat at William Rose (the queue reference) and found it wanting. Unfortunate - I have bought meat in many supermarkets in the past but since William Rose opened (and Mr Sparks on NC Road) I have been paying LESS for my meat, had better choice, a better laugh with the people on the other side of the counter, tried new recipes at their suggestion, had extras added for free. Once in a blue moon I will try a supermarket premium option (incl the Jamie steak) but the phrase "pale imitation" doesn't do the phrase justice

"Anyone know if he's telling the truth and whether I'd be wasting my time?"

He's probably telling the truth. I anticipated there would be problems for Sainsurys obtaining a dispensing licence when I saw that they had a pharmacy included in the plan of the refurbished store. I suspect that they just went for a generic floor plan for other stores without looking into the local issues that might prevent them obtaining a licence.

About 10 years ago, Sainsburys had a major refit and, when it reopened, the store included a Boots Chemist in the space where Starbucks used to be in the previous store. They could never obtain a dispensing licence due to opposition local chemists, and one in pharmacist in particular on Lordship Lane. Eventually the Boots closed and was replaced by Starbucks. What's happening now seem to be a repeat of what happened 10 years ago, and I suspect that they may never get the licence they need to dispense prescriptions on-site, but at least they're being more imaginative in their solutions than Boots were, they just told everyone that they couldn't dispense.

I always used to find the chemist in North Cross Road very good for providing prescriptions.

i went to Sainsbury's pharmacy to speak to the pharmacist about something rather personal. they have a little room for just such personal conversations (or so I'm led to believe). The pharmacist invited me behind the counter (i thought to go into the room) but then proceeded to discuss my question rather loudly from my new vantage point of next to the till, piquing the interest of the many ladies (and a few surprisingly bearded gentlemen) shopping for Rimmel lipsticks. they've got a room people!

I have never been embarrassed in such a manner when buying steak from William Rose - not even when the rather dashing mediterranean looking one made some kind of well-hung gag - and that is why I shall continue to shop there, and not at Sainsbury's pharmacy (unless it's Sunday and the only place open)