Arriva buses and 20MPH rule pass ED train station

trinidad

Hello all,

I am sure most are slowly recovering from the vast amount of food consumed over xmas, but I have a rant to share.

Southwark Council, like most councils have introduced 20MPH speed limits on most of their high streets and main roads.Whenever i drive on a 20MP road, I always observe the speed limit, however, I have noticed on several occasions, Arriva buses driving past ED train station have been impatient by flashing their lights at me from behind.

Are buses not expected to follow the same speed limit in place? If I am flashed again for driving 20 in a 20mph road, should I pull over, cronfront the driver, report????? any help welcome

take the bus number, route time,etc and report it to TfL there is a complaints page with a special section for buses. You get a personal response a few days later.

Keep doing it. They are under pressure from their bosses to follow timetables. These timetables need to stick to 20mph timings. That may mean more buses so pressure will be needed. You can apply it.

Also it would be terrible, selfish driving from anyone at all so you can apply the same principle to white vans with an employer's name on them etc

Best Wishes

If the "road to Crystal Palace" is the one at Croxted rd then I thought this was 30 mph BUT this may be Lambeth.

My only source of info is my own experience.

Not wanting to get shot down on my general statement. Only to say that I see nobody driving at 20mph

Southwark has reset several speed cameras to 20mph. You can tell which ones they are. They have 20 signs underneath the little picture of a camera on the warning signs and the marks on the road have been recalibrated.

You can also tell by the behaviour of drivers who slow for the 20mph cameras which are signed 20 and have been recalibrated but do not slow for the 20mph cameras which are marked 20 but have not been recalibrated.

The speed camera on Westwood Hill (the road to Crystal Palace) is marked 20 and has been recalibrated.

macutd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If the "road to Crystal Palace" is the one at

> Croxted rd then I thought this was 30 mph BUT this

> may be Lambeth.

> My only source of info is my own experience.

> Not wanting to get shot down on my general

> statement. Only to say that I see nobody driving

> at 20mph

The old adage: just because you don't see anyone observing 20mph doesn't mean it's completely ignored. I observe it and I know others who do; it seems we are still in the minority.

Anyway, all London buses should be fitted with speed limit devices during 2017, so the OP's problem will, at least, be solved in the New Year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35844083

I also observe it, even when I have some idiot driving up my bumper, hooting, flashing their lights and gesticulating.

However what also bugs me is the Council's (and any Councillors who supported 20mph on main roads) refusal to enforce it. If at least half those driving, including our police and bus drivers, feel that the speed limit does not apply to them it does not take a genius to figure out how potentially dangerous this is. Aside from being confusing for drivers it also breeds resentment and aggression on the roads.

If Southwark cannot be bothered to enforce their little brainchild tben I really wish they'd get rid and put main roads back to 30mph. To continue as things are is, in my view, grossly irresponsible and creates unnecessary stress all round.

I remember reading a few weeks ago, Southwark Council did approach the police, but was informed the police do not have the man power to enforce the new speed limit.

Without cameras on every street with a 20MPH speed limit, i am not sure how Soutrhwark Council can enforce the new speed limit. Southwark council are not alone, as many local authorities have adopted similar policies, including neighbouring Lambeth and Lewisham.

Southwark decided, against police advice, to make the borough 20mph throughout, including main roads. If they made this decision knowing they did not have the resources to enforce it they can hardly try to offload that responsibility onto the very institution that had advised them against it to begin with.

How irritating they now choose to use valuable resources putting unecessary double yellow lines everywhere, rather than sort out the existing 20 mph mess if their iwn making.

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> It's a war on motorists!

> They're trying to abolish Christmas!

> These days, if you say you're English, they'll

> arrest you and throw you in prison!

Theresa May is the Grinch - You just wait until she's finished :)

I'm Welsh so have that secret get out of jail free card (it's like a black Nando's card)

JohnL Wrote:

> Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's a war on motorists!

> > They're trying to abolish Christmas!

> > These days, if you say you're English, they'll

> > arrest you and throw you in prison!

>

> Theresa May is the Grinch - You just wait until

> she's finished :)

>

> I'm Welsh so have that secret get out of jail free

> card (it's like a black Nando's card)

"black nando's card" what does that meant to mean?

sally buying Wrote:

> is the Nandos card on a par with the American

> Express? ?Black Card?

Only in that it's apparently invitation only if it exists

You can buy anything with it as long as it's chicken ;)