Sainsbury's No Recycling

bob

Hi edf

i send many parcels all the time & always use recycled boxes -

If people out there need wrapping paper & packing boxes disposed of

- that's in decent-ish condition (not destroyed by enthusiastic youngsters) & usable for post quality

depending on the amount offered by the Whole edf community! I take all!

There are still clothes banks at the Devon Street tip - sorry, Reuse and Recycling Centre - but they're always overflowing and I suspect full of junk. Will probably start giving clothes in nice/nearly new condition to charity, everything else in the bin...

pearl1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ditto recycling textiles and electricals. Also my

> blue bin often overflows I only have a box. My

> house opens directly onto the street (no front

> garden) so I don't have the large blue wheelie bin

> as it would obstruct the pavement. Therefore I

> often used those large communal bins for the

> overflow. Also I don't have a car, so getting from

> ED to OKR would be a major hike.

I have a smaller blue wheelie bin that might suit your needs..

Call Southwark and they should deliver one for you.

Foxy

• 2 weeks later...

Lynne Wrote:

> Just noticed Sainsburys in New Cross still has

> recycling, if anyone goes that way. And that

> Sainsburys is quieter than DK Hill and has some of

> the cheapest petrol around. And it's on the way to

> Deptford Market. What more could you want.

Somewhere easy to park near Deptford Market?

:))

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, Sainsburys are looking to get new recycling points of there own in the next couple of months.

They have had trouble getting the council to keep on track with the collections and thought best that they were removed to possibly install their own.

Best thing would be to keep asking at the Customer Service desk on updates.

singalto Wrote:

> The mobile recycling is there on the fiRst

> Wednesday of the month from 10am to 1pm and takes

> electrical items, textiles, batteries, light

> bulbs, cardboard, books, CDs and DVDs but not

> glass.

Unfortunately this is pretty useless for anyone who works the usual office hours

• 2 weeks later...

The Mobile Recycling Centre will again be at Sainsbury's Dog Kennel Hill on Wed 1 Feb) between 10am and 1pm.

The Mobile Recycling Centre is a FREE service, funded by the London Waste and Recycling Board (LWARB), to make it easier for residents to recycle materials which cannot be collected as part of normal household recycling collections and accepts the following:

>Books

>Small electrical appliances

>Wood and timber

>Metal

>CDs/DVDs

>Clothes and shoes

>Printer cartridges

>Batteries

>Lightbulbs of any kind

Materials collected are brought to the Southwark Integrated Waste Management Facility before being sent onto charities and reprocessors to be reused or recycled.

The Mobile Recycling Centre also dispenses single-use garden waste sacks, clear recycling sacks and sells 'Pro Grow' soil conditioner plus subsidised compost bins and wormeries.

It DOES NOT accept general waste or standard household recycling (except cardboard)

Can someone please educate me on the recycling of clothes and shoes bit. I hope it means that they will take any that are not fit for re-use, but from which they can retrieve material usefully (as eg with shoddy). Is that the case?

Think a bit of perspective is needed here -

Rather than making snipey comments about the labour council, surely

this is another example of how cuts from the central government (started under the coalition IIRC) to local

authority budgets affect the services their able to offer?

Would much rather see the cuts affect recycling facilities (which are widely available via our blue bin collections & the Devons Rd depot) than to the already thinly stretched public health services (inc health visiting and school nurses).

Hi all, I put in an enquiry about this. It's basically been removed due to flytipping.

Renata

Dear Cllr. Hamvas,

The recycling site at Sainsbury's Dog Kennel Hill was removed owing to increasing levels of flytipping, much of it consisting of flytipped commercial waste.

This was not only causing problems for Sainsbury?s and their customers, but causing contamination of the recyclable material, with general waste being dumped indiscriminately in the recycling bins. Because the site operated on private land, the council?s powers to monitor using CCTV and take prosecution actions against flytippers were very limited and therefore they were unable to control the growing problem.

This meant the substantial cost of collecting and disposing of illegally tipped waste was carried by Southwark residents, with resources such as vehicles and staff being diverted to regularly clear the site. This has been a problem at a number of other sites, including the Peckham Rye Park site, which also closed recently.

All the recyclable materials previously collected at the Sainsbury's site are also collected from households across Southwark through the household recycling service. As such, residents wanting to recycle such materials can already use their normal collections to dispose of them and there is no charge for using this service. The closure of the site should therefore have no effect on the services residents can use to recycle household waste.

Residents with large amounts of cardboard to recycle and are not able to put it in their normal recycling bin can bring it to the Southwark Reuse and Recycling Centre (see http://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/recycling/recycling-centres/reuse-and-recycling-centre) which is on Devon Street, just off Old Kent Road, or bring it to the Mobile Recycling Centre which visits Sainsbury's Dog Kennel hill on the first Wednesday of the month.

Kind regards,

Veolia Southwark, on behalf of Southwark Council.

Renata thanks for this, but what about textiles? You could recycle these at Sainsbury's. So far as I'm aware you can't don't this via normal bin collections in Southwark. I'm really struggling to find anywhere close by to recycle clothes that are too far gone for a charity shop. I have emailed the Environmental team (2 weeks ago) but not yet had a response. Could you ask?

Hi Sidhue and Sanity girl here are some textile banks in the area:

SE22 0PH Overhill Road, Dawson Heights

SE22 8BB Abbotswood Rd, near Sainsbury's, Dog Kennel Hill

SE22 8DT Grove Vale (outside Mind charity shop)

SE22 8JJ Lordship Lane, The Plough public house

SE22 8NS Lordship Lane, Jay Jalaram Stores

SE22 9EE Upland Road, Family Store

SE23 3RF Brenchley Gardens 161-191

SE24 9JY Half Moon Lane, Splash dry cleaners

SE5 8RW Butterfly Walk, Morrisons car park

SE15 2TF Hollydale Road, The Hollydale Tavern

SE15 3EA Athenlay Road, Your Local

I'm not sure if all of these are still present as this list was compiled in 2016. Hopefully you can find one in an easy to reach location. I've covered the area that I think most of the ED Forumites live in.

Renata