Tyre Shop next to Moxons - has it closed?

Ko

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't find anything on it.

The tyre shop, next to Moxons and Cafe Noodle, has it closed? It looks like it has been gutted. It was up and running about 2 weeks ago, but now looks deserted. Anyone know anything?

Yes, they've cleared out. Mentioned in a recent thread...there was some rumour of new landlord, hiked rents, and Mrs Robinson opening something clothesy there. Somebody should take a photo of the tyre shop signage for the sake of posterity. It's one of the last "01" phone numbers still on display in East Dulwich.

Thanks Muttley! I think I missed it as it got lounged but I've found it now.

I think the tyre shop was part of the row of shops Parkhill bought up a year or so back. Sad to see the tyre place go as the guy has obviously been there a long time.

Hi Muttley - I walked past the tyre shop at the weekend and it wasn't the 01 number that gave me a twinge of nostalgia, it was the fading Access sign sticking out at the side like an antique For Sale board. I'd completely forgotten about Access cards, which I think were one of the very first credit cards available in the UK. I wonder how many of those are still around in London.

• 7 months later...

I went past today and noticed that they've taken down the signage with 01 on it to reveal even older signage with the telephone exchange expressed as letters - TOW xxxx - presumably dating back to the 60s?

Anyone know if TOW stood for anything or was it just random - there are still hotels in Bloomsbury that display signs with MUS (for MUSeum)at the start or their phone numbers?

You're right. The first part of the number was geographical (BRIxton, WHItehall, PADdington etc). When the system changed, they changed the letters into the corresponding numbers. When I first came to the UK, telephone books had a section in the front listing all the codes/areas so that you could see roughly where a caller lived.

In the US, I think they only use the letters for commercial reasons and for a price you can choose your own number - "call 1-800-BUY-BEER" etc.

I've had the same landline for over 50 years.

It has gone:

GYP N-N-N-N (Gypsy Hill)

TOW N-(N)-(N-10)-N (Townley: when the new exchange opened they subtracted 10 from the phone number)

693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

01-693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

020-693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

0208-693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

Interesting stuff for a Sunday morning.

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've had the same landline for over 50 years.

>

> It has gone:

>

> GYP N-N-N-N (Gypsy Hill)

> TOW N-(N)-(N-10)-N (Townley: when the new exchange

> opened they subtracted 10 from the phone number)

> 693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

> 01-693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

> 020-693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

> 0208-693 N-(N)-(N-10)-N

>

> Interesting stuff for a Sunday morning.

I think it would have gone: GIP (Gipsy Hill); TOW; 693; 01 693; 081 693; 0181 693; 020 8693

A fascinatng (!) listing here under "Telephone Exchange Project UK" http://www.rhaworth.myby.co.uk/phreak/tenp_01.htm

Yes Alan who had the tyre shop had to go he was due a rent review when he made enquires about his new rent he nearly had a hart attack a real shame he was a nice guy and would always help you out. Some one said the lease was brought by Franklins to stop a rival moving in may be organic veg shop??????

Bob S