First day of the new Dulwich Swimming Pool

Weegee

Have been to the pool a few times, and by and large, am very pleased - it's in nice shape and super-convenient for me.

Although, tonight - Sunday - I popped along towards the end of the day, as the timetable says that swimming ends at 6pm. Turns out that the timetable isn't quite accurate; the entire centre shuts at 6pm. So we were fairly unceremoniously told to finish swimming at 5:45pm, as the pool attendant cleaned up around us. At 5:50pm, I was thrown out of the shower by said attendant with a curt "could you please stop using that?". It was a little surly, I'll admit - but at least I know better for next time. Don't be confused by the timetable, folks.

Otherwise: nice to have a decent local pool again.

Pools great, but as someone who swims up to 5 times a week that bloody mix tape they have on a permanent loop which is piped into the dressing rooms is starting to resemble some form of torture. If you need a couple of CDs burned off to replace aforementioned aural monstrosity drop me a line. ;-)

cn150 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are there any that restrict mixed gender swimming?

> Do any religious scrips say anything about this?

> I'm not sure.

I don't think it is the swimming but the exposure of flesh. Even in women only sessions some women are almost completely covered up.

I?ve had my first trip to the pool now too, and was mostly pretty impressed. The pool area itself looks larger as it?s so bright and airy, and the changing rooms and showers are great.

Only dislikes were the music in the pool area itself, disappointed that the deep end isn?t deeper, and the shallow steps at one end.

It was a lane swimming session, and the slow lane incorporated the steps. I do backstroke mostly, and it?s quite tricky coming down the side of the pool towards them and anticipating where they are. I managed not to swim up them this time (but can see me doing that eventually and doing an excellent beached whale impersonation), but did lose concentration once and banged my head quite hard on the ceramic bit that juts out into the pool. If they?d been put parallel to the short side, they?d have worked better IMO ? shortened the length of the pool in the slow lane, but not narrowed it IYKWIM.

Guess that I?ll just have to work on my fitness and technique and get myself into the middle lane to avoid it!

Otherwise, a huge improvement.