First day of the new Dulwich Swimming Pool

Weegee

went to peckham pulse this week and spoke to 3 different people about membership/pay as you go options. three different reception staff gave me three completely different versions and prices, all contradicting one another.

out of the three staff, the third one did try to be helpful but even she wasn't 100% clued up on the options. the first one was disinterested and the second person i spoke to on reception was just plain rude.

the first time i wanted to talk to someone on reception, only one of the 3 people there was working. the other 2 members of staff were just chatting. the security guard had to tell them that people were waiting to be served!!!!

quite honestly it left me feeling that a lot of council money is being wasted by having these good facilities, but making access to them hard by staff that are largely unhelpful and disinterested.

i also find that no one answers the phone at peckham pulse. it seems to be a common complaint.

I found the staff at Dulwich Leisure Centre to be helpful and polite. I stopped going Peckham Pulse as the staff were not helpful and often said the pool was full when there didn't actually seem to be very many people in it. Also the changing rooms do not seem to be cleaned at Peckham very often.

Hi Indiana,

The babychanging facilities will be installed next week.

The dodgy mirror problem with the changing rooms should be resolved this coming week with new doors that automatically close.

The swimming timetables where two activities going on at same time not very well as being reviewed.

Peckham Pulse staff. I'll report this again and again suggest mystery shoppers are necessary as clearly Fusion isn't believing any of the resident or councillor feedback.

Hi James,

Is it possible to have a jelly babies session on a Sat pm? On Saturday there were teenagers in the pool along with younger kids which was a bit intimidating for the younger ones.

Also 2 other observations- pool was 29 degrees and still felt too cold (what will it feel like when the weather drops?). Secondly only 1 junior member of staff on reception and she seemed unable to cope with all the visitors.

Thanks,

If the pool temo stays constant, but the outside temperature drops, the pool will feel warmer! Try swimming in the sea on a cold day - the water always feels warmer.

Dodo1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James,

>

> Is it possible to have a jelly babies session on a

> Sat pm? On Saturday there were teenagers in the

> pool along with younger kids which was a bit

> intimidating for the younger ones.

>

> Also 2 other observations- pool was 29 degrees and

> still felt too cold (what will it feel like when

> the weather drops?). Secondly only 1 junior member

> of staff on reception and she seemed unable to

> cope with all the visitors.

>

> Thanks,

Hi All,

I'm relatively new here (brand new to the forum, 9 months new to Peckham / ED) and I looked into joining the leisure centre today. Reading your comments about the temporary rubbish gym is disheartening and I may now not join, but you might be interested to know that, as of today, they are offering a deal of ?15 a month for three months. I thought this was a too-good-to-be-true offer and now I know why.

Having said that, it's still not a bad deal, especially if you're interested in doing their classes.

HN

I tried the new pool yesterday during the "women's only" session, and was very impressed with the facilities - modern, clean changing rooms, warm showers etc.

The pool itself is great, temperature perfect. My one gripe is that I wanted to lane swim, which was fine until they set up for aqua aerobics at 10.30am, at which point one end of the pool was roped off. Not ideal, but I was still able to swim about 3/4 of a length... then the class actually started and half of the women involved came to the other side of the rope, meaning those of us trying to swim were left having to swim widths, which is pretty pointless.

Is it not possible to leave a couple of lanes open for swimming while the aerobics is going on? While the class does seem very popular it's not for me, and I'm sure others feel the same way. Tuesday mornings are the only time I can use the pool while my kids are at creche so it seems a shame if I can't use it for proper swimming!

Yes no doubt that's why.

But the net result is that men get fewer sessions than women and that IS discriminatory, ironically as it is trying to help the "put upon" women in the first place.

Men could sue, unless there is a specific carve out in the discrim legislation for this sort of thing.

new mother Wrote:

> Yes no doubt that's why.

> But the net result is that men get fewer sessions

> than women and that IS discriminatory, ironically

> as it is trying to help the "put upon" women in

> the first place.

>

> Men could sue, unless there is a specific carve

> out in the discrim legislation for this sort of

> thing.

I like your thinking new mum! Presumably if your husband/partner is refused entry when you're all going for a family swim, you could sue too! Pain and suffering, disruption to family life etc.Kerching. (Man counts imaginary winnings....)

And yeah, JB, please elaborate on someromes.

new mother Wrote:

> Yes no doubt that's why.

> But the net result is that men get fewer sessions

> than women and that IS discriminatory, ironically

> as it is trying to help the "put upon" women in

> the first place.

>

> Men could sue, unless there is a specific carve

> out in the discrim legislation for this sort of

> thing.

It's legal.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/guidance-for-service-users/business-providing-goods-facilities-or-services-to-the-public/core-guidance-using-businesses-that-offer-goods-facilities-and-services-to-the-public/