Better walking conditions on Lordship Lane

Guest Paul Holdsworth

• 7 months later...
I have no problem with parents with buggies at all but some of them can be quite inconsiderate (I think it is transference of the public transport non-etiquette self-absorption that people endure so regularly). Why not just put some signs up with a gentle reminder that they are not the only users of the pavement and to be mindful of others.

Paul Holdsworth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> *Phone boxes. These are a big problem everywhere.

> When telecoms were deregulated, private companies

> put their own boxes on footways, but then went

> bust when we all got mobiles. Now no-one will

> take responsibility for the expensive job of

> removing them. Kensington High Street has had a

> brilliant world-class pedestrian 'makeover', but

> they've still got the scuzzy old phone boxes...

Are there any non BT boxes on LL? I don't think there are, so people to approach would be BT? http://www.payphones.bt.com/

Issues of resiting are usually about pavement width, and that location is probably the only one on LL where they could go, as for the sidestreets, the pavements are too narrow to take them. The issue of width being to allow pushchairs past, and we all know how many of them there are...

I'd love to see;

? even paving on Lordship Lane especially in front of shops - the stretch outside the charity shop, opposite Somerfields is uneven and causes small children to fall and hurt themselves

? limited parking on Northcross Road and maybe surrounding streets. the area often looks like a car park, double and triple parking, delivery vans stopping in the road and on corners - dangerous and unsightly

? more bike racks

? a narrower north end of Lordship lane with wider pavements, good for street cafes and space for people to pass

Related to the traffic issue, is Southwark condsidering a campaign to encourage people to use their cars less? It's sorely needed.

ap

AnotherPaul Wrote:

> I'd love to see;

> ? even paving on Lordship Lane especially in front

> of shops - the stretch outside the charity shop,

> opposite Somerfields is uneven and causes small

> children to fall and hurt themselves

It's part of life, they'll learn to watch where they are going. We all did it.

OR EDITED ANOTHER WAY

AnotherPaul Wrote:

> I'd love to see...small children fall and hurt themselves

Me too, that's why I watch You've Been Framed...

Dear losttheplot/humour

I was contributing constructively to the thread and referring to my one year old who fell. She is learning to walk perfectly but could do without uneven, broken pavements causing her to trip and hurt herself.

If you've nothing constructive to say yourself why not button it?

ap

OR EDITED ANOTHER WAY

trip and hurt yourself and see who's laughing.

AnotherPaul Wrote:

> I was contributing constructively to the thread

> and referring to my one year old who fell. She is

> learning to walk perfectly but could do without

> uneven, broken pavements causing her to trip and

> hurt herself.

As we all could. Young or old, people with sight problems, people in chairs and so on.

Point I was making is that people have to learn to adapt to their environment. It is part of growing up, as I said, we've all learnt lessons by hurting ourselves. Dodgy pavement, take a bit of care. Climbing a tree, take more care, and so on. It wasn't a dig at you and your kid, it was a point made in general, and a light-hearted one at that.

If I do fall and hurt myself, and it happens, then I don't look to blame the kerb, pavement. I have the legs, I choose to put my feet where I do, if I fall, well, that's my own fault. It's called taking responsibilities for your own actions, and not seeking to blame others.

> If you've nothing constructive to say yourself why not button it?

I think if you check my earlier posting I have been constructive to (the other) Paul, suggesting a route to possibly resolving an issue raised.

Ok, I see your constructive point earlier and apologise for seeming hostile. I don't find making jokes about my child getting hurt all that funny and don't appreciate being misquoted for your entertainment.

I recognise the need for kids to hurt themselves and learn to cope with the world as it is but that's not a reason to ignore when public spaces have been neglected to the point at which very young children hurt themselves.

It has to be said my 20 month old doesn't have the ability to rationalise little accidents as you do. She can't take responsibility for herself and if she falls over because the pavement's a mess then there is something which can be done. I didn't blame others, just suggested the pavement shouldn't be like that.

ap

AP - while I agree the paving is less than 100%, LTP's plot was in the fine tradition of humour surely? I appreciate things become more personal when nearest and dearest are involved but still....

**edit - you got there before me I see ***

There is some overlap with this thread and the pedestrianisation thread and I find myself somewhat torn (although to certain people on here that would mean sitting-on-the-fence while to others it would mean typical-Libran)

Scruffy shops, uneven pavements and too much traffic are all things that bug me but wheras I would normally be expected to proscribe solutions I do think that pedestrianising LL would be counter-productive (see Nero's post), that shopfronts should sort themselves out as they see fit, and that paving is something we all learn to live with - ultimately we don't need legislation in this case

That doesn't mean I think people shouldn't drive less and that Chener couldn't sort themselves out mind you

AnotherPaul Wrote:

> I don't find making jokes about my child getting hurt all that funny

> and don't appreciate being misquoted for your entertainment.

As I said it was a general comment, not aimed specifically at your nipper, who I too hope is OK, but Sean's first sentence summed it up. It was a throw away comment.