Fete on Peckham Rye

citizenED

Perhaps I'm a bit biased as one of the organising volunteers, but I had a great time and the fete was very sucessful. The police estimated that at it's peak there were about 2000 people, probably the reason for the beer tent running out of beer and the cake tent running out of cakes lol. The dog show and doggy games raised ?219 for charity. The sack races and boules were very popular all day long and the face painter was worn out by the end.

All the volunteers worked extremely hard to put on the fete and even picked litter before leaving the site.

The fete is self funding and costs can be prohibitive when deciding what attractions to include. All the childrens activities provided by The Friends of Peckham Rye Park are free, so if we manage to get sponsorship for specific more expensive attractions like a bouncy castle, that would be fantastic (Food for thought for next year :) ).

If you did manage to come along, thankyou very much for helping to make the day the sucess we believe it to have been. If you didn't make it, there's always next year :)

I went with a dog whom I am looking after for the holidays. Since he won fourth place in 'handsomest dog' category I think the day was brilliant and the judges sublime. Seriously: it was well organised, reasonable selection of stalls and it was a fun afternoon, especially in the people-watching stakes - dog-owners are a strange breed.

Having organised school fetes and helped out at village fetes the Peckham Rye fete had the authentic air of a volunteer managed, non commercial effort (and I mean that as a compliment).

Would be great next year to have a "village / community prize show" where cooks can show off their best jam / cake / bread, allotment holders and gardeners show off their prize leeks, marigolds marrows, WI members their best flower arrangement, school children best picture and so on. This is always fun and has the added advantage of bringing in more punters.

Good to see Green & Blue present - would have been nice to have seen other retailers offering samples / tasters - good for them and good for the crowd.

>>wonder where the crows went for the day?<<

They were in the next field looking enviously on! :))

The fete was quite splendid, for all the reasons already stated by others. The cakes were wonderful....and how nice to see an event not dotted with ice cream/burger vans and similar salmonella-catering wagons. I suppose if you want to cavil then the Rye was perhaps too large-scale a setting for what was basically a local fete. As for the beer running out at 4pm, well the affair did start at Noon!

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >>wonder where the crows went for the day?

> They were in the next field looking enviously on!

> :))

>

> The fete was quite splendid, for all the reasons

> already stated by others. The cakes were

> wonderful....and how nice to see an event not

> dotted with ice cream/burger vans and similar

> salmonella-catering wagons. I suppose if you want

> to cavil then the Rye was perhaps too large-scale

> a setting for what was basically a local fete. As

> for the beer running out at 4pm, well the affair

> did start at Noon!

I couldn't agree more :). I would like to thank the organisers for working so incredibly hard to make the fete a success every year - so much of their own time goes into it.

I think the reason it has such a strong doggie element to it is that often the dog walkers are very active in organising it. The idea of having a late summer produce show is brilliant - are there any allotment holders/jam makers etc who would like to take this forward for the next one in 2008? We truly will have our own 'village fete' then!

Thanks again to the organisers for doing something so nice for our community :))

milliemum Wrote:

The idea of having a

> late summer produce show is brilliant - are there

> any allotment holders/jam makers etc who would

> like to take this forward for the next one in

> 2008? We truly will have our own 'village fete'

> then!

The East Dulwich WI would be a good place to find an organiser for such a produce show - in all the villages I've lived in (3 real ones and few psuedo) the WI had an active role in every fete.

There was a thread about them at one stage - but don't know who / how to contact

I am on the fete committee of the FOPRP. I thought that it went particularly well. Every year we learn more and its gets better and better. We had a lovely village atmosphere and everyone was so friendly. The dog show is a definate crowd puller. The childrens activities are made very good use of. We are always open to ideas from members of the community, and volunteers. We start working on the fete just after Christmas, and its very hard work, but yesterday I looked around and was VERY proud to be a part of it.

A BIG thanks to all of you who came and supported us and a BIG thanks to all of the organisers and volunteers, without whom this event would not take place.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend this year's fete on the Rye but I know my mother enjoyed help making some bunting for the occasion!

For those of you who like village shows you might want to visit the Camberwell Gardens Guild Autumn Show on Saturday 8 September from 2.30pm - 4.30pm at Clubland Methodist Hall, 54 Camberwell Road SE5 (entrance in Grosvenor Terrace). I know it's slightly off the beaten track but worth stopping by and something of an oasis from the hussle and bussle of the Walworth Road. Classes include Fruit and Veg, Cut blooms, Handicraft and Photography.

Doodles Wrote:

> Really enjoyed the fete. Felt like a little bit of

> Ambridge in SE22. Many thanks to the organisers.

I think that's probably one of the best compliments we could've hoped to receive (Even if Ambridge is ficticious, it's the sentiment :)) )Thankyou

East Dulwich Dweller Wrote:

> Unfortunately I was unable to attend this year's

> fete on the Rye but I know my mother enjoyed help

> making some bunting for the occasion!

>

> For those of you who like village shows you might

> want to visit the Camberwell Gardens Guild Autumn

> Show on Saturday 8 September from 2.30pm - 4.30pm

> at Clubland Methodist Hall, 54 Camberwell Road SE5

> (entrance in Grosvenor Terrace). I know it's

> slightly off the beaten track but worth stopping

> by and something of an oasis from the hussle and

> bussle of the Walworth Road. Classes include

> Fruit and Veg, Cut blooms, Handicraft and

> Photography.

Your mums efforts didn't go unnoticed and were very much appreciated.

I may try to get to the CGG show, always worth getting ideas and contacts :))

Could only make the fete for an hour or so but the next day when I biked past both sides of the park I remember thinking that for a fete there was hardly any mess, and wondered had the Council cleaners been out late Sunday or early Monday. But no, it was Joe and his very wonderful co-volunteers who cleared up other people's mess.

SO well done you lot and boo to the misery gutses.

boosboss Wrote:

> All the volunteers worked extremely hard to put on

> the fete and even picked litter before leaving the

> site.