Fat tree, Narrow pavement

Ban buggies from roads. Simple. They cause nothing but trouble in ED, and it seems typically 'first world issue' and short sighted of a buggy owner to have enough time on their hands to print this utter offensive rubbish and post it on a beautiful old tree. The tree was there before the author, and has every right to remain if it is healthy. So in many ways I agree with "trees before SOME people".

Bloody ridiculous. Buggies, meh.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ban buggies from roads. Simple. They cause nothing

> but trouble in ED, and it seems typically 'first

> world issue' and short sighted of a buggy owner to

> have enough time on their hands to print this

> utter offensive rubbish and post it on a beautiful

> old tree. The tree was there before the author,

> and has every right to remain if it is healthy. So

> in many ways I agree with "trees before SOME

> people".

>

> Bloody ridiculous. Buggies, meh.

>

> Louisa.

It's been a long time.

DuncanW Wrote:

> Ban buggies? Really?

Yes really. Some of them walk double sided down pavements self righteously forcing people out the way and into the road, and cause far more offence to me than any local tree has ever done. I'm not willing to rehash previous conversations on this topic, but some buggy owners seem to hog the pavement and presume they have right of way over other pedestrians. They're now also targeting long standing local trees for space too. It's getting ridiculous and people need to speak up more. Just because you have kids does not give you some god given right to take precedence over everyone and everything else which uses the pavement space.

Louisa.

It does seem to me that Buggy using mums seem to congregate at the narrowest part of the pavement to stop and have a chat.

Where there is a tree.. Railings / wall outside shop.

Having to say.. Excuse me please....EXCUSE ME PLEASE...... EXCUSE ME PLEASE to get past. Then get confronted with a vacant stare and a TUT.

No manners some people..

Foxy

I agree with Louisa ,though I might express my views less ,um ,strongly .

And when I struggled pushing a wheelchair it was NEVER the trees I minded .I'd sacrifice a little inconvience over keeping trees anyday .Though w/c users amd less able w/c pushers might have a different experience .

Don't get me started on wheely bins left all over the pavement though .

I agree, have to navigate myself through these situations every morning on the narrow road outside St Anthony's as they filter through from the local church after morning mass. They have right of way of course and I would say only 1 out of 10 parents will actually say thank you or excuse me for giving way, buses and other pedestrians are at a standstill in the mornings. I end up in the middle of the road sometimes but then get trapped by the other parents in cars dropping off their little darlings. I'm a parent of three as well and I can say the other schools are not as bad as this one. They could make it easier by opening the other entrance like the other schools do to lessen congestion.

I can't see this tree being a problem and I live right near it. I also have taken my neighbour past it in a wheelchair and there wasn't a problem. There was a beautiful tree, hundreds of years old right outside my house and my neighbours argued to have it chopped down, I was really disappointed. Way things are heading it'll be a concrete jungle , no trees no birds. I'm sure it's irritating to have to walk out into the road to get past it,if using a double buggy, maybe walk on the other side. I haven't started hugging trees yet, however I do love them.

• 2 weeks later...

Louisa Wrote:

> DuncanW Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ban buggies? Really?

>

> Yes really. Some of them walk double sided down

> pavements self righteously forcing people out the

> way and into the road, and cause far more offence

> to me than any local tree has ever done. I'm not

> willing to rehash previous conversations on this

> topic, but some buggy owners seem to hog the

> pavement and presume they have right of way over

> other pedestrians. They're now also targeting long

> standing local trees for space too. It's getting

> ridiculous and people need to speak up more. Just

> because you have kids does not give you some god

> given right to take precedence over everyone and

> everything else which uses the pavement space.

>

> Louisa.

This one is especially for you Louisa, I do so enjoy your posts.

"Baby brain, the pregnancy induced fog which many women claim to suffer, really exists say scientists. Researchers in Barcelona found pregnancy involves changes in the brain that last for at least 2 years after giving birth. Dr Erika Barba said that these changes concern brain areas associated with functions necessary to manage the challenges of motherhood."

So there we go, when we have to jump out of the way of the oncoming buggy we know why!!

Happy Christmas and long live fat trees!

Never encountered a tree which narrows the pavement so much I can't get the buggy through. Sometimes protruding roots are a nuisance, but I dare say that could easily be resolved.

I dare that (as is often the case) Louisa does have a valid point beneath all the "ban buggies" bluster.

Trees are becoming a cause of a unique British mental illness

many people care more about trees than almost anything else

they are seriously mentally ill ..

BIG trees in the wrong place ie pavements and gardens should be cut down and replaced with new trees.

why blight peoples lives for these monster trees which are more suited to parks and forests.

People and quality of life right to light must come before trees.

Trees in cities should be of a suitable type and size ie no self seeding types like sycamore etc

I love trees but hate huge trees in the wrong places

It's not the fault of the trees it's the fault of Southwark and mentally sick individuals with tree madness.

Also agree with some points in the Guardian article they make absolute sense.

With trees the air is suppressed at ground level and pollution becomes more concentrated less able to disperse.

Especially in London which is in a basin and when there is little wind to blow the pollution away.

There should be a plan to cut down trees as they get to a certain size and replace with young tress.

The madness is these monster trees with large canopies imho more small trees dwarf cherry blossom would be much nicer that the monsters we have.

It's lazy planning and poor implementation.

Southwark would rather spend the money on renewing pavements and junctions with their fleecing contractors that plant and manage the trees.

rendelharris Wrote:

> "With trees the air is suppressed at ground level"

> - are you for real?

Yes

It's scientifically proven the air under the canopy of trees isn't a clear as the air above trees.

Add to that the bird droppings sticky sap and leaves and you will start to see that tress are actually pretty dirty.

They really belong in gardens parks woods etc where they do less harm to people.

Also don't forget the damage that trees do to buildings undermining foundations and damaging drainage.

Trees are trouble when they're planted in the wrong places.

I'm happy to have lots of nice small trees with blossom . but do we really need these monster tress causing problems it's a nonsense .. imho

Have you a link to said scientific proof please, and more appositely to proof that streets with trees have higher pollution levels in parts per million than streets without? In a rainforest, yes, smoke etc can stay trapped under the canopy. We don't have rainforests in London. If air "is suppressed at ground level" by trees on streets barometric pressure would be higher on streets with trees than those without. Which it isn't.