Mini-bass academy for children in East Dulwich

Hi everyone,

I am looking to set up a mini-bass academy for children to learn the double bass in East Dulwich during term time. You might be amazed, but you can get 10th size double basses for young-uns as little as 5 years old! I have done a number of demonstrations for children in schools to promote what is regrettably still a rare instrument, and I always get a very positive response from the children.Quite frankly, I want more children to have the chance to learn the double bass, I absolutely love teaching little ones and it's such a fun instrument to play!

A bit about myself: I am a professional freelance double bass player, I have taught mini-bass at the Royal Academy of Music Junior School, and currently teach piano and bass privately.

The academy would run on a saturday morning for an hour, and will be a mix of tuition, ensemble playing and theory and musicianship workshop games. I am thinking ages 5-10 but it all depends on what sort of interest I get. I may end up splitting into two groups for different age groups.

The most important thing: sourcing an instrument! Mini basses will be available for hire from me for a very reasonable rate. I will charge a fee for each term which will be payable in advance, with the option to spread payments out. There will be termly concerts for the children to showcase everything they have learnt during term.

Obviously this is just my proposal at the moment, I am trying to find out what sort of interest I get first, and I welcome any questions or suggestions. Please also feel free to email me at [email protected].