Crows on the common...

giddygecko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> :'( Why are why are there so many crows on Peckham

> Rye, where are they from? what do they want? Or is

> it just me?

I thought you were writing some lyrics there :)

Crows are wonderful birds and one I have strong associations with they were uncommon in London but in the last thirty years have taken advantage of our increased waste they came in with the fast food chains being carrion feeders. We have Common Crows hooded and Rooks, also many more Jays and Magpies due to these new feeding conditions.

So if it weren?t? for the crows Peckham Rye would be full of rotting fried chicken bones and donner kebab meat.

I was in Nairobi recently and nearly soiled me britches when an entire flock of eagle/hawk like birds landed around me. They each stood about 2 feet tall! A local explained to me that they are scavengers and feed off all the rubbish in the city.

I think I prefer the crows. They?re more poetic anyway.

Nero Wrote:

> I like 'em. We have a few in the Upper East Side,

> close to Goodrich. There are NO pigeons, just a

> few wood pigeons. It is the only place in London

> I've seen where there are no pigeons. Nero

I, too, live on the Upper East Side, right by Goodrich - but I have plenty of the ghastly rock pigeons. Yuk.

Brendan Wrote:

> So if it weren?t? for the crows Peckham Rye would

> be full of rotting fried chicken bones and donner

> kebab meat.

>

> I was in Nairobi recently and nearly soiled me

> britches when an entire flock of eagle/hawk like

> birds landed around me. They each stood about 2

> feet tall! A local explained to me that they are

> scavengers and feed off all the rubbish in the

> city.

>

> I think I prefer the crows. They?re more poetic

> anyway.

I think you encountered Maribou Storks there chum. They are freakin ugly birds and bloody scary too.

The crows wake me up, running about on the flat roof above our bedroom every morning. You don't know fear until you open the back bathroom door and there, two feet from your face, is a crow - squawking on the railing. I say you don't know fear but s/he looked pretty frightened as well as s/he flew away trailing a trail of crow poo.

This at 6 am, which was nice.

Crows are wonderful birds, and so much prettier than boring old pigeons. I feel they have character to them and some sort of mystical edge.. I think its' great to see wildlife in London, as much as everyone complains about foxes and hedgehogs creating a mess of the rubbish or making too much noise, i'd rather have these creatures in my city than some of the scummy chavs who live locally!

I too am really interested in learning more about crow culture having observed the birds on the Rye...... have just received a great book as a birthday present, have only just dipped into it but it's fascinating and beautifully written. It's only just out (in hardback), called 'Crow Country' by Mark Cocker, essentially about Norfolk where he lives but in his quest to learn more he travels all over the UK. Highly recommended.

Anntidote