William Booth College

I am planning to go the WB College to check out the view, pop in to Odie and Amanda to buy some fine ladies clothes for my domestic partner and then have dim sum starters in Buddha Jazz followed by a long beery lunch in The George Canning.

All within a stonesthrow of Denmark Hill station offering regular services to Blackfriars, London Bridge and Victoria.

Great part of the world I'm sure you'd agree.

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There are cheaper places to live near by or you

> can stay at the William Booth College for as

> little as ?30 per night.

>

Which is about the same as the rent on a 1 bed flat in SE22. And you get breakfast thrown in.

Don't think so but I don't really know. I was hoping that by starting this thread someone would say 'I did it last year' and then give us the full low down.

I get the impression you just turn up but when there are loads of takers then you get some pretty big queues.

Perhaps someone who doesn't have a debilitating speech impediment would be willing to ring up and find out for me? Anyone?

Went a few years ago and yes the view was pretty amazing.

Trouble is as somebody mentioned above, there is no lift and you walk up the stairs. They are very narrow and seem to go on forever - a bit like the Monument but longer.

My abiding memory however is the pigeons - dead pigeon remains and pigeon "mess" everywhere. Quite put me off.

Maybe they've cleared it all up by now.

As I recall I just turned up and was shown round a hall inside whilst waiting our turn to go up.

Can I just say that I love the turn of phrase "promoted to glory" on the Booths' statue outside?

Jon

"The college was built by the same guy who designed the phone box."

This is true, and as has already been pointed out it was Sir Giles Gilbert Scot http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/people/famousfirst1687.html

A bit of Dulwich related trivia is that source of influence and inspiration for the design of the unusual domed top of the red telephone box has been a bit of a mystery, but it does bear a remarkable similarity to almost unique design of domes on the Dulwich Picture Gallery, which was designed by the architect Sir John Soane (1753-1837).

I have a great fondness for the Salavation Army College, which is very evocative of the architecture of the 1930s. It's usually open to the public as part of the London Open House Weekend, but I'm not sure if that includes access to the tower.

"As this has been delounged I think it might me worth reiterating that WBC is open to the public on Saturday 14th September as part of Open House Weekend and that it is usually possible to climb to the top of the tower and witness unparalleled views of London."

Ha! I missed this; apologies. I MUST try to get to WBC this year.

Ultraconsultancy Wrote:

> He did a

> lot of bread-and-butter work too, Giles Church in

> Camberwell I'm told, but I'm sceptical.

I believe that was George Gilbert Scott, grandfarther of Giles GS so your scepticism is well placed

And no - I am not a Gilbert Scott expert :-)

has anyone ever spotted the old red telephone box on Denmark Hill on the edge of Ruskin Park? I always wondered why it had never been replaced, maybe it was in memory of GGS seeing as another of his masterpieces is across the road. Either that or they couldn't be bothered as it's almost rooted to the spot being on a steep incline and all.

Alan Dale Wrote:

> As this has been delounged I think it might me

> worth reiterating that WBC is open to the public

> on Saturday 14th September as part of Open House

> Weekend and that it is usually possible to climb

> to the top of the tower and witness unparalleled

> views of London.

or you could just go up the top of the new block at kings for the same view with a lift and without the religion.

There was a big programme to replace these in the early 90's, but quite often there were objections to the replacement, as people didn't want the iconic phone box replacing. BT's argument was that the newer boxes, which have the gap at the bottom, prevented litter build up, and kept the box aired (As an aside it also allows the wee to run out... ;-) )

Getting the phone boxes replaced could be a nightmare, as BT needed co-operation from local Parish councils (Long story, don't ask....) so many remained where they were.

As an aside, BT had to actually buy back a number of red boxes to replace ones removed, when there was a bit of a groundswell of support for the box, which was a bit daft as they had sold them a year before to companies in question.

How do I know all of this? I worked for BT Payphones at the time, and was embroiled in the who issue for about 6 years... Oh happy days....!!