Skyline 2007 vs 2012

I'm with you Sean. The war and some hideous sixties and seventies developments were the end of London's traditional skyline.

No point going backwards, so developments like the London Bridge regeneration can surely only be a good thing, they're currently some of the ugliest buildings in London.

re: cost

Well, a large proportion of those buildings appear to be proper, City, type jobs so let Messrs Lynch, Morgan and co worry about the cost of those

If you mean the cost of the Olympic and related municipal stuff then clearly we are collectively going to be paying for it. But then again, I LIKE collectively paying for stuff. Gives us a sense of community and shared ownership. Oftentime anyway

I like the Dome. As a building. Not for anything they have done with it. Ever. but as a building. I wouldn't go back to a time before it existed. And most of it was paid via lottery money anyway. Which is NOT the same as taxation.

I shalln't risk incurring the wrath of the hardline administrator by straying from the skyline topic - but it's a skilled man indeed who can open so many cans of worms in so few words Sean.

Skyline branding is very interesting in the global cities chart. I have long argued that Glasgow retained its reputation for razor-weilding high rise blocks during the culture city 90's despite it's astonishing victoriana because the victorian stuff doesn't provide a notable skyline. Edinburgh's corporate logo of the same period was just the word Edinburgh with the skyline of the castle and st giles' cathedral above. For the same reasons I thought the London Olympic bid logo was fantastic - a thames shaped olympic riband.

Ultraconsultancy

monkeydoctor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thought this might be of interest: the central

> london skyline from our neck of the woods after 5

> yrs of planned building projects:

Fantastic - great views now and into the future. I now live half way down Forest Hill and the clincher when looking at the house was the view from the top floor back bedroom, also known as Dad's study!

Tonight I can see the Millenium Wheel, Houes of Parliament, St Pauls and so on. These new buildings add to London's charm - constantly changing, constantly challenging, constantly London. Unless central London planning has changed completely (and it may have) on the ground old rights of way and alley ways will still be preserved - so you can have the most modern glass and steel building athwart a Dickensian alley way with a Georgian pub or coffee house still part of the adjacent structures. cf "The Old Samuel Butler's Head" in the city.

• 5 years later...

Nice geo work.

Your window ledge needs a scrub after 5 years.

If you ever have the pleasure of visiting Japan - spend a day in Tokyo and go up to the top of the Goverment Building (forget what its called) and take a photo - then compare to London. We have it good, at the moment.