Gym Membership & Prices.

Because Brockwell have a steam room they have to spend extra electricity converting the water into steam, whereas Jags just leave it all lying around in a big pool. Hence you are paying an extra ?20 for Brockwell's leccie bill. Or something like that...........

Domitianus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Because Brockwell have a steam room they have to

> spend extra electricity converting the water into

> steam, whereas Jags just leave it all lying around

> in a big pool. Hence you are paying an extra ?20

> for Brockwell's leccie bill. Or something like

> that...........

True ;-) Did some Bean counter from Fusion decide on thier rates or are they always this inept. Maybe they don't realise they have competition?

I am not entirely sure but I get the impression that Fusion operate almost with a public sector mentality, ie. protected, monopolistic, 'divine right to succeed' type of thinking which is not exactly conducive to taking a competitive position and assessing the rivals. Just the impression I get from having visited a couple of their places.

The Brockwell gymn will have up to date modern equipment and plenty of it - ie 15 running machines, 15 rowers etc. It will be open 06.30 to at least 20.00 Mon - Fri and similar times at weekend. There are rumours that the pool will be heated and kept open year round.

I think the ?20 "excess" is appropriate given limited access to JAGS.

Gosh...ES physical place is expensive isn't it...that's more than i used to pay at Holmes Place and nearly as much as the posh amida place in Beckenham.....and that does couple memberships so actually cheaper. It better be nice...but it's not going to have a pool or anything is it?

Hmm.

(Does belated internet search) ooh Brockwell gym looks nice! I used to be a member at JAGS and thought it was awful - all cold and school changing room like and a horrible man in charge and nightmare car park. Brockwell looks pretty good value I think especially if pool rumour is true. Feel quite excited - I am endlessly on the search for a good local gym.

Groan..... not that old chesnut, "oh yes we'ill heat the pool etc" They can't even keep the pool open for more than 2 months!

Fusion have run (owned?) East dulwich pool for some time now and thay have never spent a penny on the pool, they've done maintenance sure but apart from that you'll still swim with the cockroaches, who will still be better looked after than you.

Mike

Sorry to nit-pick but...... the new ES physical health place due to open in September has a hoarding outside with an apostrophe missing. If they can't be bothered to proof read their own announcement board before having someone nail it up then it doesn't bode well. Also, the builders have spilt black paint all over the pavements outside. That looks a bit slap-dash and I hope they clean it up.

I actually like ED baths - I know they're tatty but I'm fond of the place.

mishadreams Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Groan..... not that old chesnut, "oh yes we'ill

> heat the pool etc" They can't even keep the pool

> open for more than 2 months!

>

> Fusion have run (owned?) East dulwich pool for

> some time now and thay have never spent a penny on

> the pool, they've done maintenance sure but apart

> from that you'll still swim with the cockroaches,

> who will still be better looked after than you.

>

> Mike

I spoke to a Fusion manager about this. Apparently at BRockwell Fusion have taken / been give a 30 year lease on the Lido and are investing their own capital (and other monies from Lambeth Council / Lottery etc) to upgrade and improve - expecting to see a return over their 30 year's tenure. At East Dulwich they have simply a management contract with Southwark council and no control, or even say, over capital investments. That said - Southwark Council is planning to invest ?5M in ED lesiure centre.

It looks like the ES place isn't really a gym in the usual sense. Their classes are kept to a maximum of four people (according to their website) and are to be run by physiotherapists.

It sounds like a different sort of service, more focused on rehabilitation and personalised exercise. Hence the higher costs perhaps?

Lol, no absolutely don't work for them, I just checked out what they offer and it does seem quite different to an ordinary gym (also remembering previous discussions on here where the ES people weighed in on what their plans were).

Forumites really are jumpy these days about anyone saying anything that's not negative aren't they? I wasn't even being overly positive, I'd just read up on their website.

E