The Daily Mail being nice about Peckham

Louisa

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Wishing Well was a perfectly good local boozer

Jah, much as I loved the Wishing Well and spent many happy evenings there, not least the Kraftwerk Tribute Night complete with lasers, it was the only pub I've ever been to which more than once had no beer.

Yep - no beer at all.

And before it's demise, much of the time it was almost completely empty ...

So sadly, like the late lamented CPT, the writing was on the wall.

Used to use The Wishing Well occasionally back in the day.. mainly to meet friends.

.. but it was always a shite hole.

When it first become The Victoria Inn I was invited to the opening night which went down well.

I then won a Sunday Lunch from following on Twitter. which was excelent. Had several Sunday roasts there after that

and popped in for a few beers from time to time.

Have not been for a while and haven't seen the latest refub which judging by the amount of debris outside must of been extensive.

It used to be a Sunday lunch sort of place but I seldom drink daytimes these days and hardly ever on a Sunday.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Used to use The Wishing Well occasionally back in

> the day.. mainly to meet friends.

> .. but it was always a shite hole.

One person's shitehole is another person's pub with character, Fox.

I liked The Wishing Well, but I can see why it had to go.

Not very keen on the Victoria Inn though.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Used to use The Wishing Well occasionally back

> in

> > the day.. mainly to meet friends.

> > .. but it was always a shite hole.

>

> One person's shitehole is another person's pub

> with character, Fox.

>

> I liked The Wishing Well, but I can see why it had

> to go.

>

> Not very keen on the Victoria Inn though.

The old Prince Albert had character but now gone. Semi cloned version of the Victoria. That is what the locals now want, cannot fight progress as they say. Unfortunately the clients also seem to be the same.

All,

When he states in his conclusion that some parts of Peckham may not be everyone's cup of tea because they are gritty, which parts is he referring to? Is he literally stating this because he believes some of his readers would not be comfortable in those parts of Peckham?

Sue Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Wishing Well was a perfectly good local

> boozer

>

> Jah, much as I loved the Wishing Well and spent

> many happy evenings there, not least the Kraftwerk

> Tribute Night complete with lasers, it was the

> only pub I've ever been to which more than once

> had no beer.

>

> Yep - no beer at all.

>

> And before it's demise, much of the time it was

> almost completely empty ...

>

> So sadly, like the late lamented CPT, the writing

> was on the wall.

I must have missed that and your reasoning is of course correct but I can only go on my experience of the place. It was a fairly regular haunt of mine in the 90s. Maybe the profits went down when I stopped using it so much. ;-)

The Wishing Well - indeed like the CPT - was a perfectly good pub, but rarely seemed busy.

The Victoria Inn (previous incarnation) was a good spot for lunch with kids (despite the revolting "play room"), but for going out drinking in the evening, it was never my first choice.