ED Leisure Centre refurbishment

ed_pete

Frisco Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "I had better weights in HMP"

>

> How much was their membership?

I agree. The weight-training machines appears to be by TechnoGym which is swish looking but, from a functional point of view, pretty s**t (please folks don't tell me that you have used it and think it is great - that simply means you have never actually used REALLY good machinery, or don't have the skills to judge the difference). Unfortunately, from visiting a huge number of gyms in the UK over last couple of years, TechnoGym appear to have conducted a very effective marketing campaign and their equipment is pretty much everywhere. This is a shame as there is much better equipment available for the same or lower prices. I am thinking Nautilus, MedX or Hammer. Pointless to expect that the decision makers have the actual knowledge and practical experience to base their purchase on quality of equipment.

"I agree."

With what exactly? I was simply asking a (hopefully humorous) question.

Anyway, my view for what it's worth (I can't use gyms anymore), is that ED leisure centre should only have limited free weights, because otherwise it will almost certainly turn into a grunt gym of the type that excludes most of the wider population, particularly those people it is supposed to be tasked to attract and cater for.

Actually the machines are not really that good for you. Just using free weights is exercise in itself. Also the use of weights in a fixed position is not too clever as the rest of your body does not get used to adjusting itself/does not work in harmony with the extra load. That's were the idea of the ball came from so your body was constantly working as you were doing a focused exercise. Most people's back problems come from inocuous little things like just getting out of a car. Using free weights and other more fluid forms of exercise help you to maintain and build your core strength, which should help you out in the real world when you go about your daily business. Be it getting on a bus, carrying an organic chicken, heckling councillors or even blogging while making love !

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this as a reminder that there's an exhibition at the Dulwich Leisure Centre on Saturday November 24 from 2 to 4pm. "Here you will see conceptual designs of the new refurbishment along with proposed outlines of details to be included. Tea and coffee will be provided and you and your family are most welcome to come along. "