Accident etiquette

worldwiser

A taxi I was in collided with an uninsured driver at the top of Dog Kennel Hill around midnight Saturday. It was a huge mess and we finished up right in the middle of the intersection. To my amazement, probably 30-40 cars in succession just drove around us, many hooting their displeasure at being held up for second or two.

Do I genuinely have to point out that the correct human response in such a situation is to stop, maybe roll down a window or possibly even get out and ask if anyone's hurt? Not curse in incredulity that your journey home has been delayed.

We're all fine, thanks for asking.

adonirum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> worldwiser, serious question, does this sort of

> behaviour really "amaze" you in modern day UK?

This sort of thing has been going on since the dawn of time.

Luke 10:25 The Parable of the Good Samaritan

"...A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he travelled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him..."

Did anyone stop? Normally at least one person does.

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Let's not go there. Lots of people step in to

> help. Please don't start saying that they don't.

>

> It's more normal to help, than not.

I think that's probably true.

And also, midnight in London on a Saturday night - even in lovely gentrified East Dulwich - I'm not sure I would have stopped and taken my chances with who might have been involved, tbh.

Though I might have stopped further down the road and called 999.

I agree that hooting is not helpful, but some people are just incapable of sitting in their car for a few minutes, eg in a queue for lights, without feeling the need to hoot.

They're probably like this when not driving as well. Just be thankful you don't live with one of them (hopefully you don't .......)

ETA: Glad nobody was hurt.