Proposed cycle superhighway to run down Lordship Lane

benmorg

DulwichMoan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> but I Have Made A Point, Which You Do Not Like,

> And There For, You Will Reacted Unhappy. Sorry

You've not made any point at all.

If we're generalizing which you are ever so slightly,

I think you'll find most cyclist also drive which means they of course pay road tax.

Not that cyclists need too of course, which obviously makes you unhappy. Sorry.

Twat

It Does Not Make Me Unhappy, I Just Think If You Drive Somthing On The Road, It Should Be Taxed And You Should Have Insurance, Like I Said If We Hit You, We Get Police Trouble, AND We Have Too Pay For The Damages, I Was Driving My Car, And A cyclist Infront Of Me Drunk Fell Off His Bike, I Hit Him And Got In Trouble For It?

DulwichMoan Wrote:

> It Does Not Make Me Unhappy, I Just Think If You

> Drive Somthing On The Road, It Should Be Taxed And

> You Should Have Insurance, Like I Said If We Hit

> You, We Get Police Trouble, AND We Have Too Pay

> For The Damages, I Was Driving My Car, And A

> cyclist Infront Of Me Drunk Fell Off His Bike, I

> Hit Him And Got In Trouble For It?

You 'got in trouble' cause you were driving too close.

Don't you know that law would apply if a car in front

of stopped suddenly and you went into the back of it too.

I'm not condoning drunk cyclist, but lets face it there are also drunk drivers

Clearly you were also not driving with due care and attention

Man up and accept that you were in the wrong and also driving dangerously.

Hi DulwichMoan,

95% of roads in Southwark are maintained by Southwark Council.

Council tax payers contribute around 25% of Southwark Councils funding with remiander coming from central government and effectively redistribute parts of general taxation - income tax, VAT, etc.

5% of roads maintained by Transport for London. Pretty much same ratio with GLA precept paid by residents. The only roads directly paid for by central government are those maintianed by the Highways Agency. We have no Highways Agency roads in Southwark.

So whether walking or cycling or driving we're all paying for the roads in Southwark to be maintained.

However, only people driving motor vehicles are wearing them out....

I have no particular axe to grind, but it does seem right that cyclists should be licensed and have insurance, there does seem to be an air of sanctimony among cyclists. not a significant sample I know, yesterday afternoon a male cyclist with a tiny in a seat behind him, pedalled through a red light. it does happen quite often and we all know it. I just want cyclists to stop portraying themselves themselves as a protected species.

From my own experience, I would say there are as many ignorant pedestrians as there are cyclists as there are motorists!

When i am a cyclists, for sure some days i get cut up more by other cyclists than i do cars.

And when i drive, well there are similar things going on there too with other motorists..

There are also pedestrian who just walk out into the road without looking/ red lights/ mobile/ headphones etc..

Lets stop trying to blame each other and learn to share the road and give a little respect to each other too.

Very diplomatic eh! :)

Excellent points by JB there.

I find pedestrians the biggest danger to me as a cyclist.

But I'd be up for compulsory insurance for cyclists - it's one of the reasons I'm a London Cycling Campaign member.

Licensing though - hmmm. Are we going to license pedestrians?

And as for DulwichMoan's moan about it being drivers' fault, that's not the case in England and Wales law at all. Quite the reverse if anything - some continental European countries have this presumption of driver guilt in the law but in E&W trying to get justice if you're hit as a cyclist is no easy gig. I should know - though thankfully I wasn't injured.

DulwichMoan Wrote:

> Seeing As I Work For The Police Force And Drive

> The Police Cars All Day, I Think Im A Good Driver,

> When On The Road I Treat Other Cyclist's As

> Another Car.

The police have really let their standards drop.

Kbabe01 Wrote:

> I think anyone using a Car, Bicycle, Motorbike on

> the roads should have to 1) pass a test 2) be

> insured and 3) be licenced. I dont see why

> cyclists should be treated any different from

> anyother driver on the road.

You don't see any differences between motorised and non-motorised vehicles, at all?

Really?

No i dont. You use the road then you should be tested on road safety and have a road compitency test. You should be insured to protect yourself as well as everyone else (non motorised vehicles cause accidents too), and you should be licenced to ensure you adhere to the law (red lights, one way street etc). Just my opinion.

I don't have objections to being tested on road safety (I've done my Bikeability - the current equivalent of the old cycling proficiency test) although would having a regular driving license supercede that requirement? I'm insured so no problem there. I obey the traffic laws and if someone could come up with a practical way of licensing/registering etc that wouldn't cost more to implement that money it might save, I wouldn't object. I'm not in favour of adding more bureaucracy in general.

But where do you draw the line? Should horses be licensed since, in theory, they could cause as much confusion as a bike does (and leave more debris around) and use the road? How about mobility scooters? Would it only be if the bike was used on the road? What about mountain bikes used off-road or track bikes? Or kids' bikes? Would the license be applied to the rider or to the bike? How would that work with Boris bikes? Questions, questions...

While I'm not denying that cycles can cause damage and harm, it's most definitely not to the same extent as motor vehicles - and if you look at the statistics for injury caused by cyclists (as opposed to to cyclists), I don't think the cost/benefit of registering/licensing cyclists would hold up.

Kbabe01 Wrote:

> I think anyone using a Car, Bicycle, Motorbike on

> the roads should have to 1) pass a test 2) be

> insured and 3) be licenced. I dont see why

> cyclists should be treated any different from

> anyother driver on the road.

Very sensible. Hard to disagree - as a motorist and cyclist. No doubt Sandperson will be along to suggest an alternative view, though. Medley, bit of a strange point about 'licencing pedestrians'. They tend to

merely cross roads rather than make actual journeys along them.

I think money spent on some more zebra crossings on Lordship lane would be amazing. A bit like running the gauntlet when trying to cross the road!

However, as a cyclist i would also welcome some blue lanes, as well as pedastrians realising that walking in front of a bike does hurt when you collide.

I'm not completely averse to cyclists being licensed, but I'm not sure it would work too well given that any kid or oldie can pick up a bike and hop on the road. The police have a hard enough time cracking down on unlicensed drivers, who tend to be the least safe people on the road.

For cyclists fed up of bad drivers, there's always this handy web site! http://london.mybikelane.com

The trouble with London roads is just that so many people are so bad tempered and inconsiderate, whether they get around on feet, two or four wheels; whether they need a license or not.

On a typical commute somebody wanders into Rye Lane without looking so I have to break or swerve to miss them; somebody cycles far too fast along the Surrey Canal Walk chopping up a mother walking her kids to school; somebody zooms past me in a van on Glengall Road trying to make the green light at Old Kent Road; somebody pulls up into the cycle lane at the lights on Tower Bridge Road in their motorbike then revs past us frightening the bejeesus out of novice cyclists. And so it goes on.

I seriously doubt the Cycle Superhighway will change this. At best, it will prompt TfL and Southwark Council to slightly improve a few nasty junctions and make cycling a bit more (bright blue) visible, going by the two CSHs painted in so far.

The Cycle Superhighways are as good as TfL will fund and where council roads as the council insists.

The only Cycle Superhighway in Southwark so far is around E&C and then Southwark Bridge Road. As part of this Southwark Bridge Road will become 20mph and that principle will make it even more attractive.

I believe the biggest road safety problem in South London is the number of uninsured, untaxed, un MOT'd vehicles. The next biggest problem is speeding by people passing through who start and end their journeys outside Southwark - around half of all the vehciles you see.

Then again air pollution largely caused by motor vehicels prematurely kils many Southwark residnts every year.