Proposed cycle superhighway to run down Lordship Lane

benmorg

Many of these signs say Please Drive [more] carefully, child in car, and many do not take the sticker off when driving without said infant in the car. Point is, why drive MORE carefully than one already is?

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> PeckhamRose Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > When we riding / driving behind a car that has

> a

> > sticker in it "Child In Car", does it make any

> > difference to the way we drive or ride? See my

> > point?

>

> I'm not sure I see your point, PR. The 'Child in

> Car' / 'Baby on Board' signs are intended to alert

> the emergency services of a potentially trapped

> infant, in the event of a collision.

Once people have started cycling, the desire for entire segregation often passes as they get more used to dealing with traffic.

I like cycle lanes but wouldn't want them marked off with kerbs or lots of shared use pavements since they invariably slow you down more than roads and lead to fear of going anywhere without them. Plus I think it is better for drivers and cyclists to get more used to one another.

More bike parking is definitely a good thing though and there are dome innovative designs that make it look more like street sculpture too to keep it looking attractive

Hi Peterstorm1985,

Ironic that the Car Club is so successful that the permanently allocate parking space is usually empty. One of the attractions of car clubs is that the car have dedicated car parking spaces - so people can definately park them at the end of their rental hour, half day, etc. Some of the East Dulwich cars are taken out 8 times a day.

Yes, we need more cycle parking along Lordship Lane.

Any chance of group of people posting on this thread this problem could jointly propose something?

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Peterstorm1985,

> Ironic that the Car Club is so successful that the

> permanently allocate parking space is usually

> empty.

OK, so I didn't think you'd like that suggestion but it would be a good spot. Assuming that the Car Club cars aren't being used 8 times a day to come to Lordship lane shopping (as they aren't parked there), why not move that space 50 yards down Ashbourne Grove and have the bike stands?

Totally agree with what DJKillaQueen said earlier..

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> The most sensible route seems to be that used by

> existing cyclists, Crystal Palace Road, Bellenden,

> onto Peckham High Street.

...that's the route I take to the city every day...

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> An alternate would be Barry Road, Peckham Rye, Rye

> Lane, and then either along to Camberwell, or

> taking the old canal route to Burgess Park

..and that's the way I come back.

I've been cycle commuting in London for about three years, one year of that has been cycling from ED to Hackney and I'd never consider coming down LL...or going up DKH for that matter!

I can't think of many cyclists that would be stupid enough to undertake a lorry while it's turning.

When cyclists are crushed by lorries (about 9 a year in the capital), it's usually as lorries take off from stationary but don't see they are not clear to turn left. That was the idea of the greeen boxes at the head of Junctions....so that cyclists could get in front of vehicles rather than alongside because we know that many drivers do not check their blind spots when pulling away from a junction (which is poor driving skills). They do it when they pull away from a kerb though, but not when stationary elsewhere.

And, although yes, the CS do encourage cyclists to stay on the left and filter so potentially more likely to end up in the position shown not realising the lorry is turning, part of the CS scheme is having mirrors at junctions so that lorry drivers have less blind spots and hopefully spot the numpty cyclist before moving off. Does make me shudder though - I watched someone tonight - no lights in the dark - merrily going up the side of a coach which was at the front of the queue and turning left - with absolutely no chance of reaching the front before the lights went. Luckily, he'd only made it just past the rear wheels when the lights changed and he was able to stop.

I think the one in twenty you're referring to is the most common form of colour 'blindness' - red/green - in men. I've got this and have no difficulty seeing the differently coloured cycle lanes, or traffic lights for that matter.

computedshorty Wrote:

> Have these facts been taken into account, when

> proposing coloured Lines?

>

> Revolutionary eye test.

> Until now, people with even minor forms of the

> condition ? colour which affects one in 20 men and

> one in 200 women.

> This does not include the blind and partially

> blind.

The easy win here is more cycle parking on LL and around ED generally. I'd happily support that in any form, whatever form of rack is deemed appropriate. There are ones that clamp onto lamp-posts, which seems efficient, even ones with flower boxes in the middle. Whatever, having more cycle parking is probably the single easiest step to encouraging it.

And on safety once someone's been tempted onto their bike, can I praise again the free training I got through Southwark? Two free lessons is your entitlement and I was lucky to get practically cycling royalty as my trainer. He was brilliant, utterly professional, an excellent teacher. I'd been riding in London at least 5 days a week for 3 years when I had the lessons and I learned a huge amount. All at your own pace, starting off in Dulwich Park for the basics of maintenance and then movement. Then minor roads, then more major/tricky ones. Forget the raging debates on segregation, helmets, blue/green colour schemes, networks that aren't really networks, contra-flows or one-ways, this is the one thing that I feel has made the biggest difference to my cycling confidence, knowledge, safety. Can't recommend it enough.

Agreed that the Southwark training is brilliant. Hadn't realised it was two lessons. I could do with one on bike maintenance!

Ridgeley - that's back to earlier points on inconsiderate cyclists, drivers and pedestrians who although a minority, ruin it for the rest of us. The only "off" I've had in my bike was when a drunk pedestrian stumbled into my path on a segregated cycle path. Thankfully since I had been wary of him, I was going v slowly so only have a monster bruise to show for it. And the only real emergency stops I've had to make have all been after pedestrians stepped out into my path without looking despite me being on the road where I should be. If I'd been a bus, they'd be dead.

Ridgley, I also agree cyclists have no right to spear through crowds of pedestrians, cut them up etc.

But I have to also agree with Applespider - my most serious near misses, one incident apart, have all involved pedestrians. The chief problem is they just do not look when stepping into the road. It's a pretty basic error on their part, but most of the miscreants are plugged into their MP3 players and are passively listening for a noisy car, rather than a quieter bike.

Hopefully electric cars and/or cycling will really take off and then they'll have to start looking too!