Friern Manor (now with map)

I am about to go public on my reconstruction of the early mediaeval bounds of Friern Manor.

To save myself from potential embarrassment - has anyone already done this work?

Thanks.

John K

--------------

The present East Dulwich is Friern Manor with bits and pieces tagged on in modern times.

The map has the Friern Manor reconstructed bounds marked in violet. The bounds are not where some people will expect.

This draft map needs to be digitised as a GIS layer. The GIS software and the Ordnance Survey datasets are loaded. I've had a personal demonstration of how to use both, but it will be a steep learning curve.

I will be writing a short evidence based paper to explain where I have placed the bounds. Then I expect an "interesting discussion".

I will try to answer any questions that anyone wants to ask here.

John K

When was Friern Manor disbanded? Ie, given the later enclosures acts that succeeding landlords may have introduced it cannot have been an easy task to trace the original medieval boundaries. I know tithes were paid to the church by landlords, the size of which was related to their land-holding but I don't know how the dissolution of the monasteries affected this and the records of land held.

Ted Max:

I didn't know there was society in Peckham. I will try to be respectful as befits my lowly station in life.

silverfox:

So far I have not found any evidence to show that Friern Manor has ceased to exist. It is possible that Camberwell Vestry "bought out" the manorial rights early on in the 19th century. Something to investigate further.

The rest of your question needs a long convoluted answer, but you are on the right lines. I'm afraid you'll have to take a rain check.

John K

I don't mind if it is Ascension or Rogation as long as the squire, the vicar, the lawyer, and the doctor provide the free feast for the beaters.

If you're intending to reinstate this tradition you may wish to compile a list of 2010 equivalents who have inherited an historical obligation to dig deep into their pockets and pay for a free feast for the beaters.

John K