New Chandelier Tea shop is open....

ednerd

I went in for the first time yesterday and I can see why the upstairs should be child free as it looks, IMO, distinctly like a Cajun brothel.

Anyway there were plenty of little people downstairs. One who was in particularly good voice. The loud screaming was a bit abrasive but a much more appropriate response to the state of the world than the rubbish that comes out of the mouths of many adults.

Mrs B doesn?t share my opinion re. the Cajun brothel thing but then she doesn?t share my opinion that leaving a pair of socks on the floor is artistic realism.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and what you appear to want is to play with the

> font controls available...

>

> Kids can get on my wick big time but the sort of

> thing:

>

>

>

> is:

>

> a) exaggerated

>

> b) pompous

>

> 3) pointless

>

> "it's my right" my a... foot. get over yourself.

>

> As has been pointed out many a time - this

> particular place has an upstairs without any

> "nappy valley" infection. Both sides happy..

> 'kay???

>

> I don't want kids but I'm beginning to think I'll

> have some JUST to hack some people off...

Your the man Sean! You finally got off the fence and risked offending people. Great post.

As for having kids. I am confident that you would be an excellent father and are exactly the sort of person who should be having kids. I doubt that you'd regret it but you might have to spend a bit less time bevvying...

I think Bob must be referring to Hillbilly rather than Cajun so is a few hundred miles off to the North East of where I was referring to. But his holidays in the old US of A sound interesting. Anyway I?m going off topic.

Go upstairs at The Charndellier and you will see what I mean.

just read through this thread and how is it that a new tea shop opening can turn into (yet another) debate on children v no children?

the place serves tea and (lovely) cakes. go enjoy the place - if you want to. some people have kids, and others don't. each are allowed to take their kids (or themselves if they dont have kids) to wherever they want to. people should relax a bit more and dont forget the most important thing -there are some nice cakes there, by not going because you dont like the kids around you are depriving yourself! go sit upstairs and enjoy them in peace.

DaveR said "LL may well now be far less welcoming place for the childless (or indeed the elderly or those with low incomes) than it was say 10 years ago."

I don't have any children and love LL. And to be honest, with a few exceptions, I generally love seeing lots of kids around the place and hopefully will add one or two of my own in time. I'm saving up for the bugaboo already...

Seriously though, I'm not sure the above is specific to ED. London generally is probably not a great place to be if you are elderly or on a low income. And I think ED is one of the better parts of London, whoever you are. He who is tired of ED is tired of life, as Pepys would have said if he'd lived here.

Marmora Man

"Get real - everyone has a choice. The variety of restuarants, bars, pubs and clubs in ED is such that all tastes are catered for. If you don't like the company go elsewhere - but don't criticise other parts of the community for being part of the community."

You make a very good point indeed. I hope that this remains the case in East Dulwich i.e. cheap and cheerful places amongst the trendy, unpractical and expensive places. However, I have a foreboding that things will change. And quickly. Almost all the pubs are now gastro trendy, but I have to admit it is all good for property prices(!).

ED is definitely the nicest part of SE London IMO. It makes it very difficult to move anywhere else.

However, people should be allowed to have a view on the 'mummy' types on this forum, whether they are pro or anti them, without getting a lot of vitriol. Free speech and all that?

(By the way, I have no problem with anyone as long as they are friendly and respectful be they a 'mummy', an estate agent...although the guy in the health food shop next to the cheese shop is always very surly when I go in!).

The tea shop sounds a nice addition and I will check it out. At least it is not an estate agent or a shop selling ornaments.

macroban, that's why you will have to avoid the trendy, expensive places and hang out in the greasy spoons - like me!!! The point was that at least there still are cheap places amongst the trendy and expensive places. But how long will that last?

People have said this tea shop is very expensive....so I may have to contend with drinking tea at home. Unless someone else is paying, of course.