> approached us and asked us in a rude manner to

> move tables as we were "not allowed to sit on the

> upholstered chairs in case we made stains on

> them"!! Considering I had a baby (asleep), my

> friend had a 1 year old (well behaved and not

> eating, drinking or actually doing anything

> sinister), third adult had no children, plus all

> of us are not of boisterous natures, we were

> outraged. We were not planning a food fight.

>

> If their chairs are so precious, why do they put

> them out for everyone to sit on? Have they not

> heard about stain guard spray, or god forbid -

> covering them??? Not only that, but I shudder to

> think how much money mums on maternity leave have

> spent there during the day time. To find out this

> way that our money is not welcome there, has left

> a bitter taste in my mouth.

>

> Suffice to say that we promptly left said

> establishment, and I will not return to be

> insulted again.

EllaBelle, I fully understand your outrage and decision to boycott this establishment. In fact, I would encourage all other parents with babies and children to do the same. Let me repeat that, I would wholly and enthusiastically endorse the decision of you and your child-rearing friends not to take your children into Le Chandelier - under any circumstances - no matter what - even if tired and desperate for somewhere to put up your feet and have a cuppa. Stick to your principles girl. You show 'em!

It's Jacks cafe for me. Homemade cakes, good service, child friendly, and always plenty of change from a tenner, for two of us.

I was put off the Blue Mountain a few years ago by their poor service, and avoid the place now.

Le Chandelier sounds far too pricey!

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it worse than your phobia about children (and,

> I seem to remember, your morbid fear of

> breast-feeding women)?

Almost as bad as your apparent phobia about anyone who has an opinion outside your own narrow, uncritical, unimaginative, 'hand-me-down', PC agenda, and almost as bad as your apparent fear of anything that might suggest ED is not the Pleasantville/Stepford idyll that you seem to need to believe it to be. Does that answer your question?

There are 2 valid sides to this story regarding dom and dave.You have 1 side a family man who wants to take his family out locally for food and social intercourse,and we have i presume a single guy or a guy whos dating who does not have kids,who equally wants to go out and have a drink/coffee/food with a friend,scenario of East Dulwich is that most eating places will have mums,dads and toddlers.It is nappy valley for a reason after all.Equally we have the guys with no kids who want some time with no kids around them,both sets have equal rights to go out.One should not say to the other stay at home,what right do they have to say that.

Last week i walked in then out of 3 places in East Dulwich because i did not want to spend my well deserved time surrounded by breastfeeding mums,why should i,its my right to do what i want.I have no problem with breastfeeding mums but i can think of better ways to spend my time.

Please do not retaliate,i am merely expressing a point,its my time i do what i want.

and what you appear to want is to play with the font controls available...

Kids can get on my wick big time but the sort of thing:

is:

a) exaggerated

b) pompous

3) pointless

"it's my right" my a... foot. get over yourself.

As has been pointed out many a time - this particular place has an upstairs without any "nappy valley" infection. Both sides happy.. 'kay???

I don't want kids but I'm beginning to think I'll have some JUST to hack some people off...

sorry Ganapati... sometimes I need to vent.

One of the reasons I was attracted to this forum (rather than, say.... the lordshiplane.co.uk one ) was the relative absence of professional moaners. That's not a slight on that particular site, but it permits anonymous postings so.. you know...

Lady MacGabhann is far more used to it (my rantings) than most people on here but I can let fly when the occasion calls ;-)

You're lovely tho (tu)

This subject (the "rights" of childless versus "rights" of those with children) is in danger of becoming as boring as th "middle class trendies" taking over good old working class ED and / or "fings ain't wot they used to be.

Get real - everyone has a choice. The variety of restuarants, bars, pubs and clubs in ED is such that all tastes are catered for. If you don't like the company go elsewhere - but don't criticise other parts of the community for being part of the community.

There may be a genuinely interesting debate to be had about how demographic changes within a relatively small and well-defined community can result in some sections of the community feeling disenfranchised - particularly when shops and services appear to focus their attentions on one group to the apparent exclusion of the tastes of others. LL may well now be far less welcoming place for the childless (or indeed the elderly or those with low incomes) than it was say 10 years ago.

I say it may be interesting.......

My 'stay at home' comment was solely because it appears that Domitianus' unfortunate combination of sensitivities rules out both the ground and upper floors of Le Chandelier - but he is, of course, free to take his tea wherever he pleases.