New Chandelier Tea shop is open....

ednerd

no i don;t work there ! I've always found service there to be fab. it was even better on sunday with most people off to Le Chandelier - gone are the days of having to queue for a table! only ever had cake there so can't comment on the other food - but the cake is lovely!

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Susyp, do you work for Blue Mountain!? Very

> suspicious. The service there is shoddy and the

> food amateurish in the extreme. They would have

> every reason to be worried about Le C stealing

> their business...

Not in my experince. I've been there when they are really busy and you have to que to sit down but they are so frinedly and attentive that it matters not one jot and I'm famously impatient. Also, they are doing so well that they've recently opened a new branch in Gipsy Hill.

I have to say that when I went in (evening), I thought the service was really down to earth.

They were happy for us to look at the drinks menu before we sat down. A guy served us and told us to feel free to wander upstairs before we left to see the Moroccan area. We started talking to him and he was really friendly. While he was getting our order, another lady politely (and with a smile) enquired if we were being served.

When we wandered upstairs, another waiter asked if he could help (again with a smile) and he was happy for us just to look around.

I haven't been in during the day so I don't know what it likes then. I wouldn't pay ?11 for a sandwich though. Overall it was welcoming without the staff being overbearing. :))

I went in there today to get some cake to take away and they were rushed off their feet.

The girl who served me said that they were selling a lot of cake (whole cakes and slices) to take away and the demand had been much more than expected.

I bought some apple tart slices and that was the last of their apple tarts (it was only 1.30pm!) She said the cakes are all baked fresh on the premises. Two cake slices came to ?5.10. I also bought two cake slices today from the Northcross Rd market stall which cost ?5.60. So not much difference in price. (Btw, I don't normally spend that much on cake - it was for a birthday treat!)

Le chandelier and the Blue mountain are both very good,they have their own different menus.Le chandelier is a welcome to the area,and i am sure Blue mountain would agree.

Blue mountain are opening up in Sydenham as well,so they cannot be doing that bad.Lovely fish cakes

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to inform you of my latest experience at Chandelier. I have been a couple of times with other new mum friends and had a lovely time, but the last time has put me off going there for good.

After arriving to an empty tea shop, we sat down at one of the many free tables. The owner lady sat at the back then called the manageress who approached us and asked us in a rude manner to move tables as we were "not allowed to sit on the upholstered chairs in case we made stains on them"!! Considering I had a baby (asleep), my friend had a 1 year old (well behaved and not eating, drinking or actually doing anything sinister), third adult had no children, plus all of us are not of boisterous natures, we were outraged. We were not planning a food fight.

If their chairs are so precious, why do they put them out for everyone to sit on? Have they not heard about stain guard spray, or god forbid - covering them??? Not only that, but I shudder to think how much money mums on maternity leave have spent there during the day time. To find out this way that our money is not welcome there, has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Suffice to say that we promptly left said establishment, and I will not return to be insulted again.

I don't doubt your experience. I went in the day before it opened then heard about the prices and my inner Ena Sharples took over.

You might have a point, but part of the fun of this place is the magnifying effect it has. Anywhere that can spend sooooo much time talking about a mythical M and S is obviously aware of its own comic value, and long may it continue. Nero