New Chandelier Tea shop is open....

ednerd

I shall pop along to sample their Assam on the morrow, but I certainly think it sounds overpriced. I love the Pret-a-Portea at The Berkley which I admit is ?34 for afternoon tea, but it is in Mayfair, on Paul Smith bone china, and they have to roll me from the premises to lie down in a waiting 4x4 to drive me home with my bulging doggy bag, so I feel it is worth it.

I should expect that for ?15 a pop on Lordship Lane - they could provide a table laiden with all manner of pastries and savouries. In the name of God, this is cheese and egg on bread we are talking about!

I had afternoon tea at Black Cherry - 3 kinds of sandwiches, finger sized (two/thee bites each), two of each kind. Little bites of cake, and a decent sized scone a piece. From the sounds of it it sounds as if it might feed the appetite more than Le Chandelier, although they only do it Monday to Friday.

I did go to Le Chandelier at the weekend and really liked the place, but we were ten minutes too early to try the tea sadly. Had a delicious but expensive sort of spinach pastry instead. All of which means I would go to have a nice cup of tea in pleasant surroundings, but scoff a samosa from Cheese Block on the way there.

I could quite happily live on two meals a day if said two meals were a full english breakfast and a full afternoon tea. The latter is always expensive if even half-decent as it is so labour--intensive. Finger-size sandwiches are de rigeur provided that thye are followed by freshly-baked scones with clotted cream and home-made strawberry jam, plus a good selection of small but exquisitely and artistically created cakes to follow. Everything should be served on one of those triple-decker cake plates, each layer of which should be covered with a linen doily (never paper!).

The tea, naturellement, should be on the leaf and there ahould be a pot of hot water and a strainer provided.

One should enjoy the whole experience on a river bank, shaded by a weeping willow, with swans gliding by....

>:D<

>>Don't you agree that a couple of peacocks strutting past would be good too<<

Heavens no! Not only might they get run down by one of the Lordship Lane buses, but it really is not a good idea to have two peacocks strutting, even in forward-looking, ultra modern East Dulwich....

Stripey lawns and croquet though.....mmmmm...now where did I pack my old boater?

At risk of being lounged, one of my more surreal SE22/21 moments was when I saw a peacock just poking around lazily on the street where you come out of Dulwich Woods a couple of years ago. It was lovely to see such langorous ostentation amidst suburbia.

But to keep it on message, I haven't been in to eat at Le Chandelier, but am put off by the high prices/small portions I read about. I understand it's novel and upmarket, but I just hate it when I suspect they might be ripping me off after dazzling me with their wares and decor. I think I'll pop in for tea and cake, but not much more. Nero

Went in on Saturday noon for my regulatory cup of tar/espresso. Very nice cup it was too. Still shaking from it now.

Had a chat to Daphne about the place and to see how she was going. I think they have a little way to go before they get the staff up to speed with what's happening. They all seemed to be like rabbits caught in the headlights to me.

Food menue will be increased to serve large/main plated meals. Pricey but I'm sure delicious.

On the whole I'm sure it will take off and be a huge success.

I stopped by today to give it the "Espresso test". I suppose traditionally tea shops are not too clever with the rival drink and in this respect tradition was duly followed. The coffee was only so-so and served in a wide-topped glass cup which is not the way with espresso - you need a narrow straight-sided cup so that the crema does not get stretched too thinly. At ?2.50 it was expensive and - it pains me no end to write this - not in the same class as the really good one I finally managed to acquire last week at a certain branch of a certain chain on Dog Kennel Hill for only ?1.50, served (at last!) in a proper espresso cup too.

The pastries etc looked terrific: the service was wonderful: the menu jaw-dropping. I know LL is at the cutting edge of all that is now and trendy but is ED really ready for the ?11 sandwich?! Okay so it's a club sandwich and it has white crabmeat as one of the fillings but dammit a sandwich is a sandwich is a sandwich. I am sorely tempted to start a new thread in the lounge titled "The best ?11 meal/snack value in ED" on the strength of this....

Despite all my grumbles I do like the place and will use it and think it a gorgeous,welcome addition to the local browsing/sluicing joints

Went in for drinks this evening. They've obviously spent a fair amount on doing the place up and the interior looks very impressive. Comfy and relaxing chairs - I didn't want to get up! Upstairs was very mellow.

Drinks were priced the same as a normal bar, so we will definitley go back. The cakes smelled heavenly so will also have to go back for elevenses.

Good service and friendly staff. Good to see a place with an original theme.

walked in on sunday to try this place out for a spot of afternoon tea.

walked straight out again. pretentious isn't a strong enough word for this place.

went instead to blue mountain cafe for a lovely bit of stem ginger cake and hot chocolate with far friendlier service and nicer clientele. :))

people in blue mountain just seemed a little more relaxed and less concerned about their appearance shall we say.... (i am sure no-one from the forum was in there when i visited it :)) ). Horses for courses - but definitely not my kind of place - and i normally like bars with chandeliers.... (we were't the only people sitting down and then walking out - the staff were non existant). it was very nice to go back to the blue mountain cafe and remind myself how good it is there.