New Chandelier Tea shop is open....

ednerd

I'd highly recommend it too and say it's a welcome addition to Lordship Lane. It's comfortable, light and airy, has friendly staff and serves good coffee and cakes. The upstairs is accessed by a spiral staircase so those who are pram-phobic can relax up there.

>>Does anyone know if it serves breakfast? Croissants / danish etc rather than full on English.<<

Bought croissants and almond croisssants to take away today and had a plain one at home with coffee. It was the best croissant I have ever had outside France! If they keep up this standard they will have no problems.

Gorgeous cakes on display and 29 (count 'em!) types of tea!

Also tried the eccles cakes which were....unusual: less sweet than the norm but the pastry was delicious.

They said it was open from 10am until 10pm every day. I went this afternoon for lunch and a glass of champagne - it was lovely. Also the menu offers vegetarian and vegan options too. Service a bit slow but all the staff were really pleasant. Great upstairs section too. Definitely worth a visit.

Just been. Had 'Russian Caravan' black tea. Dark and barky. Mrs kford had tea that used to be harvested by trained monkeys. Cute, bustling little place with friendly service, nice salad menu, wine list and interesting beers. Good luck to 'em. And the chandeliers are all for sale too, they say.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it, do you think, the world's only tea and

> chandelier shop? If it is, then that is SOME

> unique selling point. (Shudders to self at using

> such blatantly corporate language.) Nero

They seem to sit well together though, don't you think? Like the basement restaurant in W1 called Firevault which also sells hearths and mantlepieces.

I have been there 3 days in a row and therefore approaching groupie status. The ONLY recommendation I have for them is to get some music sorted (preferably Edith Piaf type stuff) to drown out baby noise. Apparently it's on its way.

They were very obliging,they made me a lovely sandwich,even though they had not prepared the sandwich menu,plus i got a free pastry.Jasmine tea was lovely,highly recommnded for a nightcap,or if you are a insomniac,do not have it before 5pm.Could not stay awake>:D

Went in this afternoon for a takeaway coffee, got chatting to the owner and she very kindly gave me a croissant for free! So maybe I'm a little biased but its a delightful new addition to Lordship Lane - fabulous choice of teas/coffees/cakes etc. Check out the funky upstairs area too if you have time.

I've a feeling it's going to very busy tomorrow(especially with the William Rose queue virtually opposite!)

Called in today to check it out. Excellent - the proprieter was extremely friendly, taking time out to explain what's on offer. All the staff were interested and tthe cakes, snacks and dinks on offer all seem of the highest quality.

The "Maroc" room upstairs looks brilliant - good spot for team meetings, or just getting away from it all.

Will certainly return.

I too visited it today...... and enjoyed all that I had .... blackcurrant and hibiscus tea with ham and mustard clubsandwich sandwich - Mrs B having had a crab and avocado sandwich and mint tea. I'm not one for scrimping in anyway shape or form ... but is ?25 not a little exorbitant for 2 sandwiches and 2 teas? I will return but not if I'm if I'm famished.

I was there this afternoon - have just returned in fact. It was all rather lovely, despite reminding me slightly of a visit to my granny's. The two types of mint tea on offer are both rather good. I preferred the whole leaf peppermint tea to the maroccan, I think.

Humpf, SimonM, music snob.

You may snigger at my ignorance, but I bet you've got more than a few Westlife CDs kicking about your abode, and though you may not admit it, word on the street is that you know both words AND actions to Steps' 'Tragedy'.

If my suspcions are unfounded I can trade you Westlife's Greatest Hits for one of this Trenet character's.

PS 5th day in a row at le Chandelier today. I am officially French. But clearly, still a philistine.

ok i'm a big fan of tea and cake so i can say this place gets my vote. have been there only once and had the afternoon tea which was very pleasant. the only downside was that the afternoon tea for 2 would of probably been enough just for me :) and at ?15 a pop that it is a bit pricey. the finger sandwiches were a little bit dry but the pastries were good. will definitely be back though (as stated above, probably when i'm not famished) :)

hey how come i dont get a free croisant?? hopefully i'll get one when i work my way to groupie status :)

Lordship Bob,

Your post echoed my sentiments exactly - we too had the afternoon tea for two - omigod, how small were those triangles sandwiches? Literally bite size. Which if we were talking luxury foods I might accept - btu we are talking egg and cress and cheese.

We went for the afternoon tea after looking at the rest of the menu - ?5.50 for a bacon sarnie and hugely inflated prices for basics like quiche.

I love the tea, the surroundings, and the staff were friendly so I definitely wish them well - but it is unlikely to become a regular destination for me in the way it would have if I knew I could have a lovely lunch along with my tea.