Greenwich Auction Rooms very bad service

Being in the unfortunate position of disposing of my mothers estate and clearing the house for sale to pay for Dads care, I chose GREENWICH AUCTIONS as a reliable and reputable company, who would be able to assist, appraise and sell the items.I didn't want to be RIPPED OFF BY A HOUSE CLEARANCE COMPANY. They cleared the whole house of over 40 years of collectibles, antiques, furniture, china, coins, paintings, etc including the shed of old hand tools etc. They said they put items online (which I hoped would help, being available to collectors) and would fetch a very good price. They LOST items and secreted lost items like a valuable regency chair and a collection of rare coronation china, amongst other lots (sold for ?12!!. They sold four worcester figures for ?8!! They sold a collection of oriental china for ?18 !! The items were not online (only an advert for themselves),

When I complained about lost items and not agreeing to the prices, I was sent a nasty "without predjudice" letter saying I had agreed their terms and should have discussed prices. I had tried to but the person was always "doing valuations and would call back" .... I wasn't given any estimates to discuss, only a short phone call before they shut one friday to say they were selling some items saturday morning. Then they went on holiday for 2 weeks. EVERYTHING WAS SOLD OFF FOR LESS THAN JUMBLE SALE PRICES !!! They sold approx 30 sylvac, beswick figures for FIVE POUNDS.

Dealing with everything that was on my plate at the time, maybe I trusted them too much.

Their costs of clearance and 25% sales charges outweighed what I got, which for a 3 bedroomed house of antique furniture, paintings, and hoarded collections was ?1200. They got ?1400.

I have been left feeling that I have allowed myself to be ripped off, very anxious and let down.Very dodgy all round.

I, too, have heard bad reports, but this sort of thing goes on all over. Auctioneers are not unknown to "knock it down" to someone they know when another party is bidding. "Sorry sir, you were to late". Said individual then doesn't challenge it as possibly to embarrassed to draw attention to themselves in front of a crowd of people. Yes, it really really does go on, despite any registration with "the institute" which gives the appearance of total integrity.

I know it's to late, but you could have explored the possibility of Roseberys in Knights Hill. I know they are more upmarket than house clearance auction houses, but some of the items you refer to would not have been out of place there.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

'When I complained about lost items and not agreeing to the prices, I was sent a nasty "without predjudice" letter saying I had agreed their terms and should have discussed prices. I had tried to but the person was always "doing valuations and would call back" .... I wasn't given any estimates to discuss, only a short phone call before they shut one friday to say they were selling some items saturday morning'.

You mention lost items. Was a full inventory taken that you received a copy of, especially of the more noteworthy pieces and what prices that were agreed to were not kept to?

PM me if you wish

I have had similar experiences with several Auction Houses - they are very unlike the jovial ones portrayed on Flog It, where your precious item is at least talked up a bit. I think private sale is the only way to go if you really want to get the value, rather than just dispose of things. So hard clearing houses for departed relations.

Very sorry to hear of your distressing experience at what must already have been a very emotional time for you.

I'm wondering whether any of what you describe might be of interest to either the police or to Trading Standards (if that still exists).

Or isn't there some professional body of auctioneers who may be able to help? At least they could strike this company off their list, assuming they are on it.