comparing pubs/restaurants on forest hill road!!!

As an avide member of the eating and drinking out brigade i would like to wish my congratulation and commiserations to the forest hill hospitality traders. I frequntly visit these pubs/restaurants and wondered what people thought of them, if they need improving or knocking down!! Do you like the ol' pub style Herne tavern or the new aged FHT. Greek and Italian food is all good but whats your thoughs and idea's of improvements for the pubs and restaurants in the area. Do you like the change or do you want the old school back.I personally tent to frequent the Herne, i like its food and atmosphere even when quiet. Still has regulars which is always a good sign. I used to visit the old forest hill but cant say it has improved. The clock house has some good nights(quiz) but lacks charm and charisma....

Anyways forum whats your thought??? :-)

I wish the yellow and blue place next to the barber's shop would reopen as something nice. It's a tip! I have a bit of a block with Forest Hill Road. I see it as a place to do a bit of grocery shopping, get my hair cut, get the duvet cleaned. I don't see it as a place to eat and drink, mainly because I have never been out there. Nero

I think there is some progress being made down that side of ED. Still needs tidying up a bit more though.

I went to the new Italian place Si Mangia the weekend before last as was a big fan of their sister restaurant Lorenzos in Crystal Palace. Good to have a local, friendly family run Italian just around the corner but I must say because it wasn't packed to the gills they were a little over attentive and the lighting needs a dimmer switch, other than that the food was fantastic and I had a very pleasant evening there. The Herne doesn't appeal to me anymore (too many noisy children, the garden is more like a creche) and I've never been a fan on the FHT but might give it whirl at some point.

That little parade has always been a bit sad. Nothing seems to thrive, and plenty of good restaurants and individual shops have come and gone. It has good wide pavements... perhaps it might benefit from some mature tree planting. A friend of mine had a plan to get the electrical substation by the bus stop moved too. It lacks something...

The Omrith is a pretty good place for a curry and a beer - as long as you don't look through the window at the kitchen when you go to the loo. The FHT and Herne are now well improved IMHO. I like the garden of the FHT when it is sunny - food seems OK - looks like it would be good for sports in the evening - that being said last Saturday I went up the Mag to watch the rugby even though I am alot nearer the FHT.

I would like to hear more views on Anatolia - I have never been in there and it seems to me neither has anyone else as it is always empty when I go past - yes the Italian place seems OK but needs to wear in a bit - maybe with the Manhattan Loft Company doing something with that old church things will continue to look up on that stretch

Ahhh... the joys of Forest Hill Road.

The glamour of the electricity substation. The charm of those big cages/bins which are always blocking the door to the co-op. The closed-down shops. The never-working cashpoint.

On the upside, The Herne is a godsend for those of use selfish parent who like a drink now and again. And there is a Post Office (remember them?), a very friendly DIY shop.. and the greengrocer/general store-type place up past the FHT is great.

The problem is the busy road, with shops just on one side. So if you're sitting at one of the eateries, the view aint great. But I understand Si Mangria has applied to make a more permanent outdoors-indoors terrace - which is a good call.

I don't think it's a place you'd 'travel to' (apart from The Herne), but with a little improvement it'll be just fine for those of us for whom it's the nearest parade of 'useful' shops.

PS - I know the Co-Op is rubbish, but why don't they sell garlic? Is it considered some sort of exotic spice?

the best thing about the road is the great turkish shop/market further up towards the FHT. Good selection of Middle Eatern foods. FHT, nice job. I love the celing! but lacks atmosphere. Was in The Herne last week with my brothers family. Great time had by all. The garden in the summer is a bit of a joke. Good curry in Omrith.

Apart from my hatred towards to co-op as it sells nothing and the shelves are always bloody empty, the road is run down and I'm not sure what you could do to pick it up and keep it up?

Yeah what is it with that Co-Op? It makes the Somerfield on LL look like Waitrose, and that's saying something. They've developed a unique system whereby their bread is stale days before it's reached it's sell-by date, or (yum) it's gone all 'gluey' in the middle.

The Turkish shop.. that's the one I was talking about. Top notch local-type place.

>Yeah what is it with that Co-Op? It makes the Somerfield on LL look like Waitrose, and that's saying something. They've >developed a unique system whereby their bread is stale days before it's reached it's sell-by date, or (yum) it's gone >all 'gluey' in the middle.<

Buy a bread-making machine! The bread is always super-fresh and the machine simple to use - had ours 18 months and saved ???.

But, back on topic, I too use the Post Office - for some reason some parcels get sent there instead of Sylvester Road but I am not sure what determines this: also like the nice roomy pharmacists and the queue-free, if too-often non-functional cashpoint. Anyone else remember the greengrocer's hut that used to be plonked right in the middle of the pavement before it was msyteriously burnt down?

Simon,

I had a friend with a breadmaker, but it always seemed to produce half-ton 'bricks'. Fine for Mrs *Bob*, but I must have light and fluffy white with a bacon sarnie. Is the technology there to produce both kinds? (unlike the Co-Op, not wishing to go off-thread)

Agreed on the breadmaker option. We have a mid-range Panasonic which does the job v.well - there can be a bit of trial and error involved for anything other than a standard white loaf, but ours gets used regularly to make bagel dough and loaves of brioche.

The original bakery was 'orrible - surly staff more than a whiff of super tennants about it. The opposite corner to the DIY was a launderette (I think). But, what is that artexed shop front next to the newsagents? I know this will probably bring 'the poncification of ED' back to the fore, but this bit of road could really do with some lottery or local gov funding to bring it inline with the regenerated Peckham Rye park.